UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Changing locks

Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing locks

Hi there, I'd like to ask for some information. Sorry if this thread reads similar to recent threads here. I just lost one of my S2k keys (likely stolen along with some other possessions in a bag) at the workplace.
As this only happened late last night, I got the chance to notify the police but not the insurance company. I know this is the next step and I assume they will force me into changing the locks and the keys.
I don't particularly like this scenario because I assume it's quite expensive (cost about 500 pounds to have that done on a LR Freelander in 2005) and the excess on the policy for general claims is 700 (don't ask). Also I would lose a few years of NCB.

So my main question: is there any way of not doing that and just having a new key cut and the old one reprogrammed at the Honda dealership? I assume it's illegal if I do that and not notify the insurer, but could I convince the insurer that this is good enough?
My second question is if any of you guys know what the quote is on changing the locks and the keys. I will call at the dealerships but I would like to know what to expect so I don't have a heart attack when they say it straight.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 AM

The dealer should be able to clear the plip and key from starting the car, the locks id imagen are going to be 300 - 500 to replace... plus the £80 for the key and £60 for the plip...
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will prob be cheaper to fit a new cat 1 alarm and de lock the car?

edit

de lock the doors and boot
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 AM

It would, but I forgot to mention that the fob was also stollen with the key. My bad. So de-locking (unless I don't understand the term correctly) wouldn't actually prevent them from getting into the car. Unless I would also reprogramme the existing fob? (not sure how that works)

Just got quoted 900 pounds for new locks and keys, so the cheapest I can get this done fully is 700 (if going through insurance). On the other hand I was quoted 230 for a new key and reprogramming of the ECU, albeit with the risk of it not working if it was done before on the car. The latter would also not prevent someone with the right fob/key to get in the car, just to start it.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM

they would be able to get in with the old key , you would need to ' delock ' ei remove the locks.. and get the hole plated over, but they wont be able to start it without your new key , you can get the plip 'remote' off ebay or 2nd hand they can just be re programed, new ones are about £80 i think ? the last key i had was £60 alone with the programming ,
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

speak to a breaker who can supply you a set of door locks,
relatively easy to change over

and get a cat 1 aalarm fitted with a new imobiliser so your factory blippers wont work anymore
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats expensive, I had a clifford 650 mk2 fitted for around 300 so you dont need to worry about replace the fobs.

You will need to buy a new key and get it programmed but essentially you could get it all sorted without an insurance claim for less than half you quotes.

Personally I would do this as the car will be fully protected imo
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM

£300 thats amazingly cheap ! was that just the fitting cost ?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Ok so since I'm slow, especially when it comes to technical things I never came across before, I'll try to recap your suggestions (correct me if I'm wrong).

-> forget about the dealer and go for either:

A. sourcing locks from a breaker + reprogramming of both new and existing keys (and fobs) or

B. remove locks and go for a custom alarm system with a new imobiliser and have a new key done + reprogramming of both new and existing key (no more fobs).

Is this correct? Wouldn't removing the locks affect re-sale value (that moment is coming sometime in the near future).
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

PS: Just talked with the insurance company (Direct Line) and the guy on the phone said that changing the key would be enough as long as I have another key. So I wouldn't need to change the locks to maintain cover. He wouldn't give it in writing though, I'll have to take his word for it.
Which brings me to another question. Can the dealer know the ECU has been reprogrammed before so as not to charge me for doing nothing or is this a risk I'm going to have to take?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

Do you have cpp card protection? They'd cover this, it's upto 1000 if you have reason to believe their is a security risk!

Quick Reply: Changing locks