UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Chris's Supercharger Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

AFR rising sounds a bit odd.

But good progress!

The S/C is boosting all the time but air is bled off via the blow off / dump valve - its set on a spring and back pressure from the butterfly causes it to open.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soz I missed your SMS fella, left my phone at home this morning.
Tried calling back just now, but your phone was off.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM

No problem Ben, just wanted to know what colour the wire was for the primary 02 on C16, as you are the oracle on such matters (and the garage doesn't have internet access yet)... It's white incase anyone is interested.

Does anyone know why the target AFR map in the AEM is ~6 ? Is it a different scale?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Today i headed to the garage armed with Map number 2 from mase (and the 5th map I have tried in it). This one had the idle inverted (and me nodding my head pretending i know that that means) and after installation on the AEM the idle seemed ok... at least it didn't rise to 3k!

However it sounded and felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. They guys shook their heads and wondered off... I wasn't to be beaten tho. I had read that the AEM 1012 has a bug that means the injector driver #3 doesn't work properly. So i tried the original map that was living in the AEM when i go it from Simon, after all it ran so it must not be using the buggy injector driver. I click the mysterious idle invert check box and uploaded it to the AEM. It worked!
I took the car for a drive without boosting and without vtec and it ran perfectly. However a bolt worked its way loose and the belt was slipping. The guys in the garage spend the afternoon checking every bolt and locktighting the **** out of them! I collected the car from the garage this evening and it is now ready for mapping by Mase on Sunday!

I consider that to have got this far a major success, however there are some bad points:

1. The extra weight is very noticable and I am concerned that it will spoil the handling, it felt very nose led on the way home, the balance of the car has been upset. Any suggestions on how this could be combatted would be great?

2. Cold start. Basically it won't, i have to plug the OEM ECU in, warm it up then swap over to the AEM one. This isn't exactly ideal. Hopefully Mase will fix this.

3. Good God its noisely, whistling and sneezing, you can't really hear the engine anymore... but i haven't been to the land of vtec yet....

4. Ermmm 30 miles home 1/4 tank of petrol, might be a bit rich.

5. That AEM gauge is a gambleing machine blicking in my face, its getting moved to the lower gauge pod next week.

Hopefully after mapping all this issues will evaoprate. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the world of supercharging!

Refreshing to see a warts and all post on it. People rarely post about the arse factor - its one of the things which put me off as I was thinking of doing mine.

I found the weight over the nose to be quite excessive too - not sure how that can be sorted though.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with MB on the warts & all thing I tried to do that in mine thread as well

on the weight up front, I noticed it, but after corner weighting it is no longer there
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM

I considered that, what does corner weighting involve exactly ?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM

I'm joining the S/C ranks although i've not bought a Vortech (to much hassle) i'm going Comptech. Just thought i'd say hello and hope its all sorted for you!
No doubt i'll be here with some problems myself as it will be a self install
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Mine felt heavier to begin with .. now I'm used to it.

Tightened the belt tonight and went for a blat. Back to full boost, and my GOD is it scary out there
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I'm lost. I was sent my secondhand kit from the US and threw it on in my garage over three nights. Then drove the pants off it for 2 years before going turbo.

What sort of problems did guys have in the UK? The only alteration I made for RHD was to relocate the FPR.

And did your guy in Scotland say why you car was not suitable for SC?

I see you're going for a full AEM system straight away whereas I went from standard Comptech kit with FPR, then bigger injectors and E-manage and then AEM EMS. The step by step approach allowed me to learn along the way.

Quick Reply: Chris's Supercharger Thread