UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch and brake bleed success?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and brake bleed success?

Hi all, decided to fit my dixcel set up this weekend along with new HEL lines. While I was there I also did the grindy clutch pedal fix (sanding the nipple and polishing the push rod and regreasing). After reading on here about gravity bleeding giving a great solid pedal I decided to try this, well in short my brakes were terrible afterwards, definately need bleeding again. I used the two man pump to begin with to get the fluid through the lines initially then started the gravity bleed in the correct order. Has anyone had the great success with gravity bleeding that people talk about??

Also I decided to try gravity bleeding the clutch, but when I remove the slave from the car the piston just pushes itself out and fluid falls out? An I missing something I should be doing here?? Ive spent all last night searching for an explanation but it all seems a lot easier than I am experiencing! The car is a 2004 if it makes any difference.

Any help appreciated
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Never have myself mate, tried it on my old astra, and pedal went straight to the floor nearly.

I've always used a one way valve kit myself, catches fluid and guarantees no air in the line, plus they're only a fiver from motor factors.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 AM

It's annoying because I could have just bled them as I always have done any other car and they would have worked, just people seem so adamant that gravity bleeding works do well! I might persevere with it...

Any ideas on the clutch slave?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
It's annoying because I could have just bled them as I always have done any other car and they would have worked, just people seem so adamant that gravity bleeding works do well! I might persevere with it...

Any ideas on the clutch slave?
I'd bleed the clutch the way I've always done it hydraulic setups, 2 people one to depress the clutch pedal right the way down, undo bleed nipple, get ready for a fair bit of fluid to come out, then nip it back in again, then get matey to release pedal, repeat this process to your hearts content, or till a good stream of fluid comes out. No air will get into the system with this method.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done gravity bleeding, and the one-man pipe-with-valve method, and I never thought there was any difference.

I had a nightmare time after changing my hoses, and only got the brakes good again after using the car for a few months and bleeding again. Obviously you introduce a lot of air, so maybe one bleed just isn't enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Hi all, decided to fit my dixcel set up this weekend along with new HEL lines. While I was there I also did the grindy clutch pedal fix (sanding the nipple and polishing the push rod and regreasing). After reading on here about gravity bleeding giving a great solid pedal I decided to try this, well in short my brakes were terrible afterwards, definately need bleeding again. I used the two man pump to begin with to get the fluid through the lines initially then started the gravity bleed in the correct order. Has anyone had the great success with gravity bleeding that people talk about??

Also I decided to try gravity bleeding the clutch, but when I remove the slave from the car the piston just pushes itself out and fluid falls out? An I missing something I should be doing here?? Ive spent all last night searching for an explanation but it all seems a lot easier than I am experiencing! The car is a 2004 if it makes any difference.

Any help appreciated
Why are you removing the slave cyl, just loosen the bleed nipple and let the fluid run out, and keep your master cyl topped up, gravity bleeding just means let the fluid run through on it's own.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 AM

I removed the slave so I could bleed using Billman's method of pointing the bleed nipple straight up. I think I will just use the traditional method and get it done.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 AM

I removed the slave so I could bleed using Billman's method of pointing the bleed nipple straight up. I think I will just use the traditional method and get it done.
theres nowt wrong with the normal method, removing the slave is a last resort if your struggling to remove air, the bleed nipple is already at the top of the cyl
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM

I did think it seemed a lot of messing about. Bled it the way I have done for the last 10 odd years today, took all of about half an hour and now my pedal feels are brilliant. Don't think I'll bother with gravity bleeding in the future! Oh and anyone who hasn't done the clutch push rod clean up should do it. Makes such a difference and it's so easy!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Ray, you shouldn't need to remove the slave.When I fitted my new clutch which is a push release bearing I give it a quick suck to get the fluid moving then used the gravity method.

Also when I fitted a full set of brakes, because I don't have any friends I did the whole lot with the gravity method.having said that I may bleed them again but will use the one way valve.The brakes are HiSpec so I don't trust that they bled properly, because I was getting some strange braking forces when braking from high speed.

Quick Reply: Clutch and brake bleed success?