UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch replacement on MY00

Old 12-31-2003, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement on MY00

As you can see from my badge etc I have an MY00 S. Trident Honda in Weybridge are saying that the clutches on 00's were not the best and I should replace mine.

Bit vague on the details and the clutch doesn't seem to be playing up on my car. Does anyone know anything about this? I've got 35K miles on the car.

All help most appreciated.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:59 AM

From memory, I think a lot of the earlier cars had a known clutch "problem", resulting in Honda offering a replacement to the 055 clutch (mostly done under warranty).

I can't remember what the symptoms of the problem were but there are plenty of threads out there documenting it, if you want to have a search before someone more knowledgeable than me reads this and replies.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:02 AM

if they are going to replace under warranty then do it...if not I'd leave it....I only had mine replaced because it was vibrating but even then it didn't bother me that much...I replaced it because it was free
Old 12-31-2003, 03:05 AM

The problem on the 054 clutch was a vibrating noise when decelerating in gear from 4k rpm. On my last car it was very very noisy.

I don't know if my current car has had it's clutch changed, but it makes no noise whatsoever.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by zero_to60
If they are going to replace under warranty then do it...if not I'd leave it....

Mine wasn't too bad, made a slight ringing sound under deceleration, but I still got it changed under warranty.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 AM

my one makes a real buzz between 3-4000 RPM upto 3rd gear. i guess this is the same problem. its a MY99 but only done 15k miles. its doesnt have a honda warrantee any more but does have a warrantee from the dealer who sold it to me.

do you think there is much chance of honda fixing it for free/reduced rate out of warrantee? if not might try and wangle it through the second hand car dealers warrantee (not sure its covered though as its not a clutch failure of any kind). if not again I guess i'll just leave it.

Also seem to have a bit of a clutch grab problem in first gear when dabbing accelarator as sub 10mph speeds. Especially bad when driving around multi story car parks.. can sometimes jerk the car quite badly... foot to the clutch or press on the accelarator always sorts it. getting a service soon and will get them to check it out. anybody else had this?
Old 12-31-2003, 06:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rmcotton
do you think there is much chance of honda fixing it for free/reduced rate out of warrantee? if not might try and wangle it through the second hand car dealers warrantee (not sure its covered though as its not a clutch failure of any kind). if not again I guess i'll just leave it.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:23 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have had no problems with it, then I'd leave it.

I have had my car since Sept'99. The dealer changed the clutch plate (I believe) due to minor vibrations.

I've done 21K miles in just over 4 years of ownership, and I've not had to change the clutch as such.

I think it's the dealer trying to get some extra business out of you !

Bharat
Old 12-31-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by rmcotton
Also seem to have a bit of a clutch grab problem in first gear when dabbing accelarator as sub 10mph speeds. Especially bad when driving around multi story car parks.. can sometimes jerk the car quite badly... foot to the clutch or press on the accelarator always sorts it. getting a service soon and will get them to check it out. anybody else had this?
Sometimes get a similar problem when exiting my close - cold engine, bumpy tarmac, turning left. Car jerks back and forth (causing my foot to do the same, thus making it worse!) De-clutching cures it, accelerating would, too, but not the right time or place. Otherwise I have always been amazed at the car's ability to crawl along at 2 mph with my foot off the clutch as if it is an automatic - so much for the early stories of intractability round town being the price you have to pay.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:40 AM

Hi Kelk

I have an MY00 and the clutch and Gearbox have been relaced under warranty. If your car isnt too far out of warranty and the Honda garage recommend that you get it done then I would get it done but only if they are going to pay for it.

Give them some grief usually works.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement on MY00