UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cost of fuel

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Feb 8 2011, 05:40 AM
Government has just raised its levy on banks by £800 million for this year.

Maybe a way of stopping the expected fuel duty levy by offsetting elsewhere.
A pittance in comparison to this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...eist-of-century
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

No, what I'm saying is that the Govt's answer when fuel prices are put up is simply "Well use public transport". My example was more to show that using public transport isn't always the best option...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by sound_wave,Feb 8 2011, 03:52 PM
No, what I'm saying is that the Govt's answer when fuel prices are put up is simply "Well use public transport". My example was more to show that using public transport isn't always the best option...
I was only messing about, but to moan about fuel prices when PT is less convenient and more expensive doesn't seem quite right to me.

The current government doesn't suggest using PT as an option, it's excuse is that "the deficit caused by Labour needs to be reduced".
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Feb 8 2011, 12:02 PM
I also live dead centre between where my wife works and I work. Between us we do 60 miles a day. There is no alternative for us and many other rural dwellers.
There is an alternative: you can live closer to work. But then you probably like where you live - the peace, the tranquility etc. So you pay for it in other ways.

I've given up owning a car. I can't say I miss it living in London - My S was a money pit waste of space in the end

Now I ride my bike or use PT. If I need a car I hire one

Too many cars on the road - it's a cash cow for the govt - people are addicted to their cars. The choice really is simple: if you don't like it sell up and find alternatives - there are many.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Feb 8 2011, 05:40 AM
Government has just raised its levy on banks by £800 million for this year.

Maybe a way of stopping the expected fuel duty levy by offsetting elsewhere.
About time too, the banks don't need a slap on the wrists but a smack in the gob, if it wasn't for them we all wouldn't be in such a mess.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Feb 8 2011, 04:44 AM
.............because the base cost of fuel is outside of the governments control...
Have a look at.

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

Base fuel cost 41.8p

Retailer gets 5p (poor sods hardly worth bothering)

Tax and duty 80.1p

So we get taxed 200% the value of the product. puts 20% vat in perspective and don't say duty isn't tax, duty is more tax.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Feb 8 2011, 08:48 AM
About time too, the banks don't need a slap on the wrists but a smack in the gob, if it wasn't for them we all wouldn't be in such a mess.
But alas the UK economy needs the banks more than the banks need the UK.

So a tricky balance has to be sought, this levy could make the Far East, Dubai and other tax haven countries much more attractive for the non state owned, successful banks, Barclays, HSBC and the Investment Banks which pay an awful lot in tax.

If they leave (as in move to new premises abroad), then we are left with a load of banks, owned by the public and gov't who have a much smaller market share and suddenly the City collapses.

We need the banks and finance, our economy is driven by finance and services, we have nothing else.

As for fuel, meh, it will go up, people will get hybrids or diesels and carry on as per normal.

The danger is inflation.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Feb 8 2011, 05:00 PM
Have a look at.

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

Base fuel cost 41.8p

Retailer gets 5p (poor sods hardly worth bothering)

Tax and duty 80.1p

So we get taxed 200% the value of the product. puts 20% vat in perspective and don't say duty isn't tax, duty is more tax.
As I said... the base price of petrol, or if you like the cost of crude...

I'm not saying that the tax does not make up a ridiculous proportion of it. What I am saying is that given current taxation (which is unlikely to reduce), the price of the product ex-tax is set externally... this is then exacerbated by the taxation...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Feb 8 2011, 09:27 AM
As I said... the base price of petrol, or if you like the cost of crude...

I'm not saying that the tax does not make up a ridiculous proportion of it. What I am saying is that given current taxation (which is unlikely to reduce), the price of the product ex-tax is set externally... this is then exacerbated by the taxation...
The base price quoted by the web site is not the cost of crude but the cost of the processed fuel at the pumps.
I wouldn't mind paying the product price plus a decent profit for the retailer (not the mighty shell BP etc) and a resonable amount of tax say 20-30%, but how 200% can ever be justified is beyond me, that may sound simplistic but we are being taxed on a necesity especialy in rural areas where public transport is apauling at best.
There is no environmental gain in upping tax and duty revenue, if you need to get to work no amount of tax is going to make your journey any shorter, or you fuel need any less.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc,Feb 8 2011, 05:40 PM
There is no environmental gain in upping tax and duty revenue, if you need to get to work no amount of tax is going to make your journey any shorter, or you fuel need any less.
maybe not but you might drive smoother or slower, meaning less fuel use and less tax so they increase tax to make up for the shortfall

Quick Reply: Cost of fuel