UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cost justification exercises for car mods

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about 15 years of marriage and an easy life lol.

Divorce is far more expensive than a supercharger/holiday/new car.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very simply.....who paid for the holiday? Who bought you the antique gucci bracelet for Christmas? Who pays for dinner all the time?

You: 'I'M BUYING A SUPERCHARGER FOR THE S'
Wife: 'Ok darling, no need to shout!'

well that's how it works for me but then we're not married yet!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Easy just tell her "It cost twenty quid" every time and get her a bunch of daisies or somthing to even things up.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just you

I just tend to buy what I want when I want. She has her money, I have mine.

As for holidays, well I always pay for them anyway.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GaryB,Feb 15 2011, 07:00 AM

Yes, I could buy the cheap ones but they'll only last me X miles. If I spend the extra now they'll last me Y miles...

This is my favourite, but seems to be more for the benefit of others. My mrs is quite into having a modded car, shes always wanted an RS turbo fiesta and has no problem admitting she went out with boys at school with nice cars, so shes quite down with me waxing money on mods.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Feb 15 2011, 05:18 PM
I say man up I buy anything I like for mine and any interference is dealt with quickly! In fact there is none now, it's not open for debate.

It's like blokes who I know, who ask for permission to go out. WTF is that about?!
LOL I agree! Just remind her whose money your spending!

I'm fortunate, my wife just shakes her head and says "it's your money".
Keeper!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Yeh just half the real cost she will never know, she is too busy polishing the jimmy choo's she bought for a tenner
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB,Feb 15 2011, 04:00 PM
Is it just me or do you find yourself trying to justify to your other half, the financial benefits of whatever bit you're about to order for your S2000?

Service items are simple enough to get past when you rack up the miles especially if it's a daily driver, other items can also be shoehorned into this category i.e. Brake disks/pads etc (Yeah love, I need some new disks. They're £xxx.xx a pair - She's not to know OE ones are only £30 odd..)

Other items are not so simple however and an element of "truth stretching" or "creative accounting" can be necessary.

e.g. I think there may be a hole in my exhaust. Now I've priced up a replacement from a Honda dealer and it's ridiculously expensive (Not that you'd ever get an OE one from a dealer) but the goods news dear is that someone on the forum is selling an aftermarket one for <Insert real price -20% here>

or..

Yes, I could buy the cheap ones but they'll only last me X miles. If I spend the extra now they'll last me Y miles and in effect, that means in the long run a saving of £Z.

This system has worked quite well for me over the years until I flippantly asked her if I could spend £3.5k on a supercharger kit at which point she used the killer line...

"Of course you can dear.....if YOU think we can afford it without us having to cut back on anything else. And have you booked the holiday yet?"

Now realistically, I don't have to run this stuff past her or get her approval for this kinda thing but for some reason I feel it necessary to justify what I spend.

Is this just me?
Yup.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM

I was debating with the other half whether to get the Dixcel discs and pads all round... she was trying to convince me to get them on the basis they would save me money in the long run!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 AM

PSML, what a funny thread.

I thought I had got away with getting the car lowered recently. I had the springs delivered to work, and took the car from work to the garage and they fitted the springs in time for me to collect and drive home.

3 weeks went by and she had no clue, until the other day when we did the weekly shop, and as we go to put the bags in the boot...........................

OEM Springs sitting proudly in the Eibach box!!! OOOOOPS - caught out

Quick Reply: Cost justification exercises for car mods