UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cracked Windscreen with pic

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Windscreen with pic

commuting home last night and suddenly this happened.....

i was in the middle lane (not tailgating) prob a good 5 secs behind car in front and suddenly heard a massive bang that nearly made me jump out of my seat. So i get home and give the insurance a call (expecting to pay a £50 excess) and they tell me that windscreens arent covered. So i phone up autoglass and they tell me it will be £680 for a replacement window......errr does that come with the all the lube for the seals.........and my ass!!!

any recommendations?? i am trying to get a good deal through honda through a contact so hopefully that will be a more realistic figure....

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Who are you insured with?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 15 2011, 01:57 AM
Yes we'll all boycott them! That is one wild crack, hope you manage to get a decent price, I've heard some problems with the autoglass replacement, worth a serch. Lings quote £261 for an oem screen-

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_ca...&block_03=19263

could be an option to get one fitted by an independant?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read in the paper this morning Autoglass have gone into liquidation.

If you are paying for the windscreen yourself shop around, you will be amazed how low they will drop.

I needed a rear screen for my 3 series a number of years ago, started at about £800. Eventually got it for less than £300.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 15 2011, 01:57 AM
I cant remember who they are, my dad is on my policy with me and he phoned them last night for me, they are some swiss car insurance company EX or something my dad said?! autoglass said that they were a fairly new company that hadnt organised a window replacement deal with autoglass yet?!

cheers for that link rich, if all else fails it will be cheaper for me to buy off that link and get honda to fit, autoglass said the rubber seals were the expensive part on the s2000. i have had a quick search through here and seen stories of bad fitting windows and leaks and scratched panels/dents etc
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your policy document and look for the bit which lists excesses and the like.

You should find a glass excess there.

Just because they don't have an agreement with Autoglass, this doesn't mean that they don't have an agreement with somebody else.

I would be very surprised if glass was not covered. I thought the reason that you just pay a small excess for glass was to stop people driving around with damage screens which could lead to an all together larger accident and claim for the insurance company.

I'd check again as that doesn't sound at all right to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Feb 15 2011, 10:35 AM
Check your policy document and look for the bit which lists excesses and the like.

You should find a glass excess there.

Just because they don't have an agreement with Autoglass, this doesn't mean that they don't have an agreement with somebody else.

I would be very surprised if glass was not covered. I thought the reason that you just pay a small excess for glass was to stop people driving around with damage screens which could lead to an all together larger accident and claim for the insurance company.

I'd check again as that doesn't sound at all right to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 AM

Autoglass has not gone into administration.
A similar company called AutoWindscreens has gone into administration.

Were you insured fully comp or 3rd party?
It's very unusual for a fully comp policy to not include windscreen cover.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 AM

My dad dug out all the documentation last night becasue he couldnt believe it either and low an behold it was in the small print. Because it was my first year being insured on my own policy we were limited to so many insurance companies and went with this one because it was the cheapest. I am insured fully comp and its £1200a year, but the excess is something stupid like £3000. My renewal is up in june so i will be shopping round for better companies, i will also be 27 so hopefully prices will drop a bit. I will get him to double check everything but i am 99% sure we are not covered. I had heard about autowindscreens going into administration yesterday and wondered if this had inflated prices?!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 AM

Good luck with the insurance.
I'm not sure how much impact your age will have on the premium without the no claims to go with it.
Assuming you have been insured on your dads policy without claim you may be able to find a company that will offer and equivalent no claims bonus.

Back to topic though. I'm not sure if the other company going into administration has any effect.
I think it's just that windscreens are expensive, so are the rubber bits, and probably their own insurance in case they damage anything while changing the screen.
Last time I had one done it also took the mobile guy several hours, so that a few hours labour cost too.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windscreen with pic