UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DA Polisher help!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA Polisher help!

Hey all,

Bought myself a DAS6-pro polisher and got to work with it today. Started work on the first panel but really need help before I go any further.

Paint is badly swirled so I started using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a Dodo Juice orange fin cutting pad. Panel now looks like this:

Is this what should happen? I am new to all this and crapping myself I have destroyed the paint already??

Regards,
Old 10-15-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buff it with a microfiber and show us what it looks like then, or is that what the photo is showing us?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by macky_6
Hey all,

Bought myself a DAS6-pro polisher and got to work with it today. Started work on the first panel but really need help before I go any further.

Paint is badly swirled so I started using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a Dodo Juice orange fin cutting pad. Panel now looks like this:

Is this what should happen? I am new to all this and crapping myself I have destroyed the paint already??

Regards,
Hiya..

You haven't destroyed the paint, don't worry.

I have a DAS 6 Dodo Juice Dual Action, they are relatively easy to use and mated with the correct pad & compound, produce sparkling results.

You must remember that Honda paint is very soft, and also very thin. So it requires a less abrasive compound - you have to be gentle. Personally, I use GTechniq stuff
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-po.../prod_844.html

It's never let me down, my Berlina Black also had some swirls from over enthusiastic washing from the last owner. One pass was enough to remove. Gtechniq stuff doesn't overheat, so you have more room for error. Keep it moist, not too fast and take your time within a 1 foot squared area.
For the pad, I tend to use a soft waffle pad.

It may be that your pad is too harsh for the paint, or your compound is drying out / too fast rpm. Check your pad for debris too.
HTH
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
Buff it with a microfiber and show us what it looks like then, or is that what the photo is showing us?

Ahhhh, that's better haha! It was as simple as you suggested, looking good now! Almost as relieved as I am stupid hahaha!

Thanks man
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 AM

@s2k4tony : thanks mate, just this was my first time using it and in all the videos I watched nobody ever said to buff off with a microfiber haha! All seems good now, thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 10-15-2015, 04:22 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I mustard mit, I tend to buff off with a softer pad and a finishing finer polish, because I'm lazy/have no patience left.

Only do a MF pass when most of the wax is off.

But if you're a less-experienced buffer, overcautious is better than hammer & tongs...
Old 10-15-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

That compound is quite aggressive, i have some. You really want a gentle one to start with. I used that for a paint defect from bird shat corrosion

I've used Poorboys SSR1 which is quite gentle ime, you can get that off amazon
Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/g...250_153573.jpg

Menzerna 85RE Final Finish on a Lake country finishing pad .
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you do anything else, watch Junkman's YouTube videos.

I bought a DoDo Juice Dual Action polisher, three pads (orange, green and black) together with three grades of cutting compound and polish and I've achieved an acceptable result on my Berlina Black S2000.

All it takes is patience and practice.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:48 PM

I'll second imc27's comment.
Junkman's youtube vids take you through it step by step.

Quick Reply: DA Polisher help!