UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

So the hood wear issue gets more interesting. When I called Honda UK today to give them hell for not honouring the claim when they should have they tell me they have no record of my Reg number.

Interesting.

I give them my VIN number and they said, 'Oh, that's an Import'.

Interesting.

As some of you may know, I bought this from a Honda dealer in the UK in December. All paperwork supplied indicates it is a UK car. V5 says new at first registration, the search that the dealer provided to me says UK spec, etc., etc., etc..

Now, I'm more than a bit furious. They are looking into the two issues now.

When I said that I bought a UK car from aUK dealer and if it turns out that it is an import it should be replaced, the rep said 'absolutely'.

We'll see what happens.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 AM
tej

Does it have square or rectangle plates front and back?

Doesn't guaruntee it but if they are square it will point to it being an import
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 AM

I was under the impression that an EU import or Uk car made no difference now as they are identical, I was told this by a car dealership a while ago. If its a JDM then thats a different matter though and would be obvious to spot this.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 AM

This happened to me with my first S - many many years ago!!!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1181465

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1250933

Luckily I was within the 30day hand back period. Fecking annoying to know a dealer has ripped you off though.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people bought Imports at that time because the dealerships were still charging full money and no discounts.

They're all built in Japan and all S2000s supplied as European RHD cars are UK spec cars. The only difference between mine and a Honda UK car is that I have a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty rather than 90,000 mile. I've had warranty work done no problem but I was mindful to get the car registered with HUK when I bought it.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM

I doubt it'll be a JDM import, that would just be far too obvious. My last car, 2003 Clio 172 was "an import" and the number plate didn't come up on the Renault system, but the VIN did. But it was only an import from somewhere such as Jersey or Ireland (I never knew where though), every single thing about the car was the same apart from the alarm. These quite often get sold brand new in the UK through places such as carcraft or similar, so of course the V5 will say reg'd in UK from new.

This may be useless info, but worth mentioning I think. Interested to see how this pans out, I'm sure it'll be ok once you get to the bottom of it.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it with this theory!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Banned

Main thing for me is, it looks like it came from Cyprus and now that I know this I cannot honestly sell on for full price when that time comes. I was sold a UK product and that is what I expected. If this turns out to be true, at the very least the car has been mis-represented to me by Honda and the dealer.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by gt750boy,Mar 17 2010, 04:55 AM
Main thing for me is, it looks like it came from Cyprus and now that I know this I cannot honestly sell on for full price when that time comes. I was sold a UK product and that is what I expected. If this turns out to be true, at the very least the car has been mis-represented to me by Honda and the dealer.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 AM

As near as dammit no price difference second hand these days.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know who supplied it to the original owner. Might have details on the PDI, service book or number plates etc.

Mine is from Bob Gerrard although most of theirs came via Malta. Motorpoint and other car supermarkets also sold euro imports many of which came from Malta or Cyprus.

I hope HUK honour your warranty, although they might only honour it to the day it was sold from the Cyprus importer to the UK importer. Which can vary depending on how long it was stocked in the UK. It might help that you have a Moonrock car, these were very popular in 2007 and so I doubt would have been sitting around for long.

I know that you're pissed of by this but other than the vin numbers being on the HUK database there's not any physical difference, once you're out of the warranty period no difference whatever.

Quick Reply: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!