UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dead Battery

Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Continuing from my other ridiculous thread earlier this week, I done something more stupid this morning.

My car was having problems starting over, and cleaning my car for 4 hours yesterday and having the radio on for 1-hour meant that 3-hours later when going out, my car didn't turn over because of a dead battery.

I went to Halfrauds this morning rather than jump start it, and bought a new battery (HB057). Upon putting it in (only one way possible) I connected the terminals to find that it didn't fit and then to hear a whining noise from the alternator I think?!

Realising this was the wrong battery - and consequently realising that not only were the terminals the wrong size, the battery was the opposite way meaning that I put a positive on a negative etc.

I went a bought the same type of battery in reverse order (HB053), stuck it in, and now nothing. I put in my old battery which had some juice left to give me something, and nothing!

I know it's probably something to do with the positive being put on the negative.

Halfords get there info from Honda UK. I'm livid!

Could it be a fuse; alternator; loom?

I need help as I'm missing my girlfriend charity run in Hyde Park

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Wah

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry8426546
Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You flattened it, just give it a charge over night.
I have a trickle charger for mine.

Doh I skimmed
Do the above for the old battery.
Reversing the polarity of the system my ba a problem as the fuse box will be at the end of the chain rather than the front.
Check through ALL the fuses you might be lucky and not have damaged anything.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:36 AM

my bet will be a fuse under the bonnet (fusebox infront of the battery) has blow.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the link Wah.

I've done many searches to no avail on this. Looked on google and depending on car, any amount of damage could have been caused.

The battery has been changed with a new one (HB053). I put the leads on the terminals correctly this time, but nothing - so I know it's not the battery.

Obviously I'm praying it's the fuse, but I highly doubt it. Does anyone know where the fuse is and what ampage it is?

I'll try changing it now to se e of that gets me anywhere.

I literally have no power - I've had to manually lock my car.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM

Update: Well it is the 100amp fuse which needs to be unlugged with a phillips.

When opening the case, metal contacts had clearly become separated indicating a break.

Unfortunately Halfrauds don't do this fuse, so will have to wait until tomorrow from Honda. I will also be explaining the situation!

Gosh - I do hope it's the fuse.

Is the alternator still likely to go even if my car does start up?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

I remember someone (no, not me) connecting a booster pack the wrong way round on one of the sales cars, cue smoke and flashes, ecu, alternator and part of a loom kaput, but this car did not have one these major fuses in line. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you get it sorted.

You're not having much luck.

You've heard the phrase "bad things happen in 3"s ??

Well,
number 1 was the passenger window isolator
number 2 was the battery being fitted the wrong way round
number 3 ?

Finger crossed mate

Bharat
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Hi guys,

Well, the 100amp fuse was delivered today. I promptly installed it with the new HB053 battery and hey presto - now up and running.

Left on idle for 3 minutes and drove up the road and back again. Engine appears fine. I'm still slightly anxious that I've not hurt anything else.

However, my Alpine HU has stopped working. Just looked at the 15amp fuse and no break. Changed it for spare to make sure, and nothing. My HU is not working. Any ideas? Or could this be kaput for my 2 month old Alpine HU?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

Walshie,

Thanks for being such a good sport about the window switch - much entertainment was had by all!

You really don't deserve this sort of hassle though. I'm glad you've resolved the problem. Your Alpine HU has its own fuse built in to the rear of the unit - pop it out and have a look.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery