UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dear RX8 Owner

Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear RX8 Owner

Came round M5 Jnc 7 roundabout this morning followed by a black 54 plate RX8.

He decided to tailgate me down the sliproad ( I was doing 60 -70), once onto the motorway I indicated all the way into the outside lane gently and he felt the need to come past me with no indication.

Then further on he decides to pull out on me once more when I was about to go past him in the outside lane - again no indicators.

Look pal, I know you have a new 54 plate rotory wank*er 4 door saloon and you probably think its the fastest thing in the world ......

Just a couple of pointers for you.

1) Somewhere , undoubtedly are indicators on your vehicle. (Does not apply to BMWs), USE THEM.
2) Do not tailgate people.
3) Do not try and put your foot down at 80mph to lose me - YOU WON'T
4) Give sportcars / performance car owners a little respect, they will undoubtedly be faster than you are.
5) Your car is only 7 days old, try giving that a little respect too !.
6) If I see you again (and I probably will), hopefully it will not be on a motorway and I will make you look extremely stupid. That is of course, in the unlikely event that you have not already 'ed it or someone has 'ed you.

Just a warning

Have a nice day all.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:58 PM

How will you make him look stupid on a motorway? I thought that the more powerful variant of the RX8 would match the S2000?

(maybe not - just thought that was what I had read)
Old 09-07-2004, 12:09 AM

do i detect a bruised ego?

The RX8 231 has a 6.4 0-60 i.e. similar to the S. How does that not make an RX8 231bhp a sports / performance car?

I think we all have to accept that we shouldn't automatically expect other road users to move over and/or refrain from stupid maneuvers just because we consider our car to be better. There will always be some idiot who will drive dangerously enough to get in front.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 AM

"There will always be some idiot who will drive dangerously enough to get in front."

I think that was the point I was making.

166 Bhp/ton to 191 Bhp/ton. !!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Put it a different way - I wouldn't 'hassle' a Boxster S in the same situation. A straight fair race - yes, no problem.

I've always had and respect from people when having a bit of fun on the road - there's no need to be a total WAN*ER !!

Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by majp,Sep 7 2004, 07:39 AM
5) Your car is only 7 days old, try giving that a little respect too !.
The guy has obviously just traded in his BMW and has not discovered that his new car has indicators yet.

RE: 0-60. The 6.1s you see is the Honda quoted 0-100kph (62mph) figure. IIRC Evo tested the 0-60 at 5.4s.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:47 AM

Also seeing as we are talking motorway - bear in mind the S is over 2 secs quicker to 100mph.

Once you get off the motorway, provided you are a decent driver and it's dry - they wont keep up.

I asked about this you see on another forum, as a bloke at work has an RX8 and said "mine would still outperform it". Numerous firsthand experience of people from trackdays etc confirmed they couldn't keep up at all

Andy
Old 09-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm no great fan of the Mazda. Horrible front arches and bit of committee design IMO.

I also think the Wankel engine is fundamentally flawed and don't understand why Mazda persist with it.

It doesn't last and it's uneconomical.

With every incarnation we hear that the problems have been solved.

I don't believe it for a minute but we shall have to wait and see.

I'm also no fan of EVO and don't regard performance stats as the whole picture. However, some figures don't lie and if you take something like a 0-100 or a lap time, they will usually tell you something.

In a recent EVO coupe test, only the 350Z was quicker than the RX8 around Bedford, with some accomplished machinery well behind (330Ci, Alfa GTA etc). So the RX8 is undoubtedly a respectable performer although on a typical motorway, at motorway speeds, during the day, I don't think cars can demonstrate any performance differential without a lot of goodwill from other drivers.

Having said that, there is no excuse for tailgating, not indicating and deliberately blocking.

I believe that if the car behind you wants to go faster, provided you CAN move over, you should let them through, regardless of speed limits.

By the same token, if I come up behind something, and I don't care if it's a McLaren F1, then they should either get out of the way or go faster than me (subject to being able to).

Old 09-07-2004, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 7 2004, 09:46 AM
I also think the Wankel engine is fundamentally flawed and don't understand why Mazda persist with it.
I agree with that. What I don't understand is why Mazda don't exploit the only possible advantage of a rotary, Eg the small size and weight of the engine block relative to the power output. They could multiply up the number of rotors to get some serious power output out of a relatively small unit. Imagine the RX8 had 500hp and from an engine that would still fit comfortably under the hood and without increasing the frontal weight too much (if you could afford worse fuel consumption than a jumbo jet you would probably all want one then!).
Old 09-07-2004, 02:20 AM

Let's keep a little perspective here - it's the driver at fault not the car. Whether the car matches our tastes or not, that is for you to decide, but the driver is in control (most of the time) of the position, signals and maneuvers the car is making.

The driver in this case sounds like a right to$$er but does one bad apple truly ruin the apple cart? Piston or rotary it doesn'e affect a drivers attitude to lane discipline and the highway code that much does it?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=majp,Sep 7 2004, 12:23 AM]"There will always be some idiot who will drive dangerously enough to get in front."

I think that was the point I was making.

166 Bhp/ton to 191 Bhp/ton.

Quick Reply: Dear RX8 Owner