UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diff noise?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:51 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was getting the funny noises and the diff was a possibility they drained a sample of the oil out of it to examine it.

Maybe worth checking for contaminants in the old oil.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just back in now from changing both the diff and gearbox oil and no real difference. might be slightly better. there was also some metal filings to be found The whine is not as bad as it was, is there normally a slight whine in these?

if it is a new diff i need how much is mister Honda going to squeeze me for? or can i get it reconditioned?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM

Hi

My diff is also making a noise, sort a whining gets louder at aroun 60-70km per hour and at low revs (in 5th and 6th) u can hear it clearly.

I dropped it off by the dealer today, i'm praying that its nothing major. they didnt replace my diff oil when it was supposed to so i dont know if that had an effect.

They will call me today and let me know what it is and i will post it on here.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 AM

I think these cars do whine a bit, the box is very close to you aswell which doesn't help
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Edlover,Jan 25 2007, 12:36 AM
Hi

My diff is also making a noise, sort a whining gets louder at aroun 60-70km per hour and at low revs (in 5th and 6th) u can hear it clearly.

I dropped it off by the dealer today, i'm praying that its nothing major. they didnt replace my diff oil when it was supposed to so i dont know if that had an effect.

They will call me today and let me know what it is and i will post it on here.
yeah if you could let me know how you get on it would be great thanks, you seem to be having very similar problems to me.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by PeterMM,Jan 25 2007, 01:02 AM
......there was also some metal filings to be found

if it is a new diff i need how much is mister Honda going to squeeze me for? or can i get it reconditioned?
In the diff oil ??

New diff time, approx
Old 01-25-2007, 04:04 AM

[QUOTE=simonprelude,Jan 25 2007, 04:40 AM] In the diff oil ??

New diff time, approx
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Just got back from the dealer.

I suspected they didn
Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Edlover,Jan 25 2007, 08:11 AM] Just got back from the dealer.

I suspected they didn
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 AM

It may be an option, my brother and father live in the UK and my bro can courier it to me. but it may be too expensive to ship.

also, once they open the diff, apparently it needs parts to be replaced already since they break things to open it, so i may be out of pocket if its something small to replace and i get a diff from overseas.

or if the diff must be replaced, i will get one from the UK and will wait for it to arrive.

And i have a warrantee (non Honda) which may pick up the cost (or part thereof) so...

The service people were very nice to me today, the service manager also oversaw the replacing and draining of my oil. but i seriously wonder if the oil was replaced at last service. but thats just wrong of me suspecting foul play from them. but i dont understand why they replaced if for free in anycase.

Peter, where woudl i start to look for a scrapyard inthe UK and find out if they have a diff or how much it will be (ad how much it weighs)? I can always ask my bro to find out the shipping costs, but he is a bit useless when it comes to cars so wont expect him to know what a diff is. If i have to replace a diff here (at a cost of 3000 pounds or whatver) it will make sense to get one from the UK.

Quick Reply: Diff noise?