UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Disability and the S2000

Old 07-18-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spuffington,Jul 18 2006, 04:54 PM
Doesn't seem to be just about size of parking spaces.....you're talking about the ability of someone to adequately control the 'S'.
Yes, that question was. I don't know whether it does - it only came up after Neil mentioned the effects of whatever it is he suffers from - that's why I was asking the question, funnily enough.

Asking questions IS allowed, you know, even on an emotive subject. It's not belligerent or confrontational, it's just requesting more information.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jul 18 2006, 04:57 PM
Despite a chronic and life changing illness, I've dragged myself to work, and have earnt the cash to buy myself a nice car. So now if I get a badge and park in a disabled bay, I get people looking at me and saying "he's not disabled enough to have a badge." Or "how can he afford a car like that". etc

I go back to my original question. Why are you suprised that someone who is disabled should drive an S2000? And what business is it of yours anyway?!

Ah I see. That's not the attitude "of this thread" specifically though. That ties in with your question - I don't KNOW why I was surprised for sure, that's precisely what I'm trying to establish and figure out. I gave my initials thoughts about why it would be surprising and despite there seeming to be pitchforks and flaming torches about to be handed out, only one person gave a reasoned answer, ie Mark.

As for what business is it of mine? I'm a nosy bastard, that's what.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Perhaps Graham should be entitled to a badge, since he's been ajudged PC-challenged!

I suspect he actually raised it because like many, he feels that disabled spaces should be left for the disabled & ables shouldn't take the piss.

Obviously, depends on the disability, really. And these days, many 'family' cars ride worse and are more difficult to drive than the S2K.

What business of anyone's is anything? I hope it was raised in the interests of discussion & without that, this site would be about 1K.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My dad has a blue badge and parks in disabled spaces in his S2000, as is his right to do so with the badge.

If you can barely walk 100 metres sometimes surely that impacts on how much concentration and effort you can put into controlling the car? And thus the likelihood of you being an S driver on that particular day.
- physical vs mental
- driving the S does not need to be any different to driving a reliant robin, depends on driving style
Old 07-18-2006, 01:45 PM

IT seems that lately, everytime I see some disabled parking somewhere, there's at least one tosser parked there without a badge.
Often a BMW, merc or a 4x4 at that.

I've been thinking of geting some (very sticky) stickers printed up that read something like "Your disabled badge must have falled off, sh!t head!" for their windows.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jul 18 2006, 04:06 PM

I suspect he actually raised it because like many, he feels that disabled spaces should be left for the disabled & ables shouldn't take the piss.
that would be my thinking on the subject

the criteria just need to be transparent and abuse stamped out

oh yeah, and dish out some common sense

like, just because you have a disabled badge, don't park like a complete twat

of course, not everyone does this

and equally, not everyone with a badge deserves one, or drives with due consideration for other road users

the 'scheme' is derided around here - because of the scenarios alluded to above
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 PM

I was asked the same question by Dan @ the last meet with regards me parking in a disabled bay in the S.

Because some folks see me on good days being able to drive the S, does not mean that ever day I can drive or even walk due to my illness.

Over 14 year ago I was paralyzed & for 6 months the mere fact that my car (not the S) was parked on drive was the sole driving force that got me fighting to walk & to be able to get behind the wheel again.

It's days when I can get behind the wheel off the S that make me grateful for my health days & what a GREAT PLEASURE it is to drive a Honda S2000

But I will be forever asked "Do you have a Blue Badge"

Another bonus is when travel to the Isle of Wight by ferry, the S is never boxed in like the rest so NO door dents "What A Result"
Old 07-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I can fully accept that people have good and bad days

But I struggle with the image of someone having a bad day

Who is still able to drive safely and manage a lengthy shop, with all that entails

I must only see disabled drivers who are having good days
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Whatever your condition / ability. Whether you have a disabled badge or not.
If you park any car in a disabled space when you are not displaying your badge, you are sending a signal to every lazy chav family out there that it is ok to take up a disabled space rather than park elsewhere.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G'day Folks,

I think someone wants to look up "disability" in the dictionary!

Oohh and as the old saying goes, "never judge a book by it's cover"

Regards,
Kiwi

Quick Reply: Disability and the S2000