UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dixcel ES pads

Old 08-01-2014, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dixcel ES pads

I'm going to replace my discs & pads all round soon and I've heard good things about Dixcel. I'm going with their discs, plain rears and slotted fronts but has anyone used their ES pads?

I'm currently using Ferodo DS2500's all round and the stopping power is great and they hold their bite on track too. Dixcel ES pads are almost half the price, but I'm a believer in getting what you pay for. While i'd be more than happy to pay half the price, I don't want to compromise on braking performance.

ES fronts are £55 a set

DS2500's £100 aprox.

Next step up with Dixcel is their Z type pad but they're £175 a set.

What are people's thoughts please?

Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I'd avoid the slotted discs - they just wear out your pads very quickly.

I've not tried the ES on track (and don't know of anyone who has) I'm afraid.

The Z are really good, but, as you say, expensive. If you wanted to give them a try, I may have some used sets lying around. Let me know if you are interested and I'll take a look.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova

The Z are really good, but, as you say, expensive. If you wanted to give them a try, I may have some used sets lying around. Let me know if you are interested and I'll take a look.
I was only thinking of going slotted to get a little more pad cleaning & cooling effect. I know it'd be negligible but it was the general plan floating around in my head.

I'm just slightly wary that a £55 pad wont perform as well as i'd want on track. Part of me says i should stick with Ferodo's as i know they're able to give me what i want from them. Thanks for the offer on the Z's I'll have a ponder over what i want to do then let you know i'f i'd like to have a try

Cheers.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1406888579' post='23268758

I was only thinking of going slotted to get a little more pad cleaning & cooling effect. I know it'd be negligible but it was the general plan floating around in my head.

I'm just slightly wary that a £55 pad wont perform as well as i'd want on track. Part of me says i should stick with Ferodo's as i know they're able to give me what i want from them. Thanks for the offer on the Z's I'll have a ponder over what i want to do then let you know i'f i'd like to have a try

Cheers.
Sticking with Ferodos is probably a good plan, if it ain't broke and all that.

Dixcel call the ES pads a "Fast road" pad, so that's probably what they're for, if that makes sense?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by RobAp1' timestamp='1406889126' post='23268761
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1406888579' post='23268758']

Cheers.

Dixcel call the ES pads a "Fast road" pad, so that's probably what they're for, if that makes sense?
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense and the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced they won't be all i'm expecting. Maybe I will just say bugger it and stay with what i know.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1406889417' post='23268763
[quote name='RobAp1' timestamp='1406889126' post='23268761']
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1406888579' post='23268758']

Cheers.

[/quote]

That makes perfect sense and the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced they won't be all i'm expecting. Maybe I will just say bugger it and stay with what i know.
[/quote]
I went from DS2500 to the type Z pad. Big step change in performance. I'd strongly recommend going for the type Z.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:05 AM

I don't doubt the Z would be a fantastic pad but at £175 a set on the front it's just a bit too pricey for how often i drive the car hard on track.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll notice a big improvement in braking performance on the road too. Pedal pressure for the same braking performance reduces substantially.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the ES for a couple of years now just because they are cheap and perform well.
On the road their performance is very good with minimum brake dust and no noise at all.
My current set has 2 track days on and about 2000miles of mountain and city driving. They havent faded or have any issues yet and most probably im doing another track day with them.

Ps. Im running Dixcel SD rotors at the back and DBA sloted and grooved at the front
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ikaros_s2K
Im running the ES for a couple of years now just because they are cheap and perform well.
On the road their performance is very good with minimum brake dust and no noise at all.
My current set has 2 track days on and about 2000miles of mountain and city driving. They havent faded or have any issues yet and most probably im doing another track day with them.

Ps. Im running Dixcel SD rotors at the back and DBA sloted and grooved at the front
Thanks for your feedback. Good to hear from someone who's driven them on street and track Seems like they're not a very common choice in the UK

Quick Reply: Dixcel ES pads