UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Do I have anyway of getting my money back?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you bought a disk, you can surrender it.
Simples.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 250 Likes on 215 Posts

The dealer may just have slipped up and not known the disc was in the handbook, so send back the one the dealer charged you for and put the other on the car.?
Dealers are not infallible and do make mistakes, if they'd known the tax disc was there it would have sent back when the car came in to stock and had the proceeds as profit. At least that what I used to do.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j,Nov 8 2009, 10:58 AM
The dealer may just have slipped up and not known the disc was in the handbook, so send back the one the dealer charged you for and put the other on the car.?
Dealers are not infallible and do make mistakes, if they'd known the tax disc was there it would have sent back when the car came in to stock and had the proceeds as profit. At least that what I used to do.
I do agree the dealers are only human but they don’t see they have made any mistake here, I think they must take responsibility for their actions and my loss.

I have contacted DVLA, a couple of rules they quoted “you must keep the longest running tax disk”, “the car can be taxed twice”.

I could declare a SORN, cash in my tax disk, put the original disk on the car but I would run the risk of being pulled over because the car would be on the data base as off the road.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Were you charged for the new tax disc? Its not clear to me from this thread.

You have 7 months left on the tax disc you found. Check with the DVLA and then apply for a refund as advised above.

Is it really worth the stress?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM

I cant see the dealer having any come back on this??

I assume the car was advertised with no tax, you agreed a price, you now have to tax the car. It turns out the car has got tax, you send oldest tax disc back to DVLA and get some sort of refund, you're ££'s in.

If the dealer wanted to be pedantic then surely they could ask for the old tax disc back from you, cash it in themselves and keep the money for themselves??

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

If you found a £50 in the glove box would you be complaining????
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Nov 9 2009, 12:56 AM
Were you charged for the new tax disc? Its not clear to me from this thread.

You have 7 months left on the tax disc you found. Check with the DVLA and then apply for a refund as advised above.

Is it really worth the stress?
Yes! the price was agreed for the car and then the money for the tax was requested and added to the total.

I can only apply for a refund if I sell the car or take it off the road, form V14 from the dvla has more details if you need them.

finally, £405 not worth the hassle? Not sure about that...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by white knight,Nov 10 2009, 08:29 AM
Yes! the price was agreed for the car and then the money for the tax was requested and added to the total.

I can only apply for a refund if I sell the car or take it off the road, form V14 from the dvla has more details if you need them.

finally, £405 not worth the hassle? Not sure about that...
Its not £405 though is it?

It is £405 less whatever the surrender value of the tax disc you discovered is - call it £200.

The hassle of taking them to the small claims, the risk of the courts finding against you etc. is not worth that IMO.

Surrender the tax disc you found for a refund. You will still have a valid one that, from what you have said, runs for another month... so there is no need to declare SORN. Do it before the end of the month or you will lose even more on the deal.

You can gurantee if the dealer knew the tax disc was there they would have surrendered it and taken the refund and then charged you £405 for a new disc. I would consider it a windfall of ~£200...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Nov 10 2009, 08:47 AM
You can gurantee if the dealer knew the tax disc was there they would have surrendered it and taken the refund and then charged you £405 for a new disc. I would consider it a windfall of ~£200...
Exactly. How often do you buy a car from a dealer with any tax on at all?

I think the problem you have is that there's not a category on the refund form for "I have two tax discs by mistake sorry". If I were you, I'd fill in the form without ticking a specific reason, attach a short (non-ranting) covering letter explaining your circumstances and maybe also enclose a photocopy of both tax discs and the V5 with your name on it.

I'd be surprised if they didn't send you a refund for the remaining six months.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 AM

I'm still very confused with what the issue is here, what would you expect to get from a small claims court?

If I was in this position I'd be well chuffed at finding about £200 that I haven't paid for??
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a car this time last year, a Honda Jizz, that had what looked like a valid tax disk on it. The dealer had said that the car was not taxed

I got a letter from the DVLA about 6 months ago to say that the car was neither taxed nor sorned.

Turns out that the previous tax disc had been cancelled and a refund paid out on it but the disk was never returned to DVLA.

Quick Reply: Do I have anyway of getting my money back?