UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Don Palmer Creative Driving Course

Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don Palmer Creative Driving Course

I'm seriously considering spending all the money I had put aside for trackdays this year on one course, namely the Don Palmer Creative Driving Course. I have read the website so I have a godd idea of what it's about. But...

1. I have never driven a car on track
2. I rate my car control skills (in a RWD car) as very poor
3. If the back end went on the road I would have no idea what to do to correct it
4. I can't heel and toe or do any of that fancy stuff

With all the above in mind, I do not drive like a loony on the road, admittedly I will always enjoy driving fast in the dry and explore the cars limits, but in the wet I would drive like a learner in the S. Ideally I want a course that will give me the confidence on the road.

Is this course too advanced for someone such as myself? Do I need to do track days first to learn more about the car, or will this course do all that for me and 'prep' me for track days?

Any advice much appreciated.

franky
Old 03-06-2003, 12:31 PM

Do a search on this there is plenty of first hand info on Don Palmer driver tuition.

But...

I think most people thought it was an expertly run day which was effective at teaching useful new skills.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:10 PM

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
I did his course the week after buying my S and in one day he completely transformed my driving I am so much more relaxed and confident behind the wheel and I didnt think I was bad beforehand. I cannot stress enough how good Don is, I went with pretty high expectations and he surpassed them in the first hour. You will leave the day twice the driver you start it especially if you arent that confident in the first place, he doesnt so much instruct you as encourage you to understand what is happening with the car so you learn for yourself. I really cant say enough good things about him, oh and in case I didnt mention it - DO IT, this course will do everything you want and more
Old 03-06-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) It's not a track day, it's driver coaching. No experience needed. In fact, you might be at an advantage - no learned bad track habits.
2) Perfect reason to go!
3) You'll learn that and more.
4) Don't need to. It's not about going fast, it's about learning to control the car, and to understand what the car's doing and learn.

As to too advanced, Don teaches each pupil at their own pace. Give Don a call - he's a friendly chap, who was happy to discuss what I wanted out of the course before I went.

You'll find more of my posts on Don with a search - suffice to say, I highly recommend doing the course.

-Brian.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 PM

thanks chaps,

Brian - I found your post with the search last night, I am now convinced that I have to go on the course !
Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 PM

Everything they said....

Don is the 'Yoda' of car control. No experience necessary, he doesn't teach you, you seem to learn by osmosis - he leads you into discovering that you can drift an S2000 at 80mph with full control and as calmly as you like.

Have a look for what I wrote on here about my day with him.

Oh, it's great fun, too.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:07 AM

Does anyone know if he can provide a car?

I am really interested in doing some training but (a) there's nothing round here, Dijon being the nearest I think and (b) I'd prefer to do it in English.

Although the expense of driving the S2000 from here to Bruntingthorpe is not inconsiderable, it's more the time that I have a problem with. If I could use a car provided by the organisation then that would be considerably easier for me.

If not there, anyone know any other good training courses where they could provide a car? I'm looking for a similar type of thing, exploring and pushing the limits, car control etc.

Cheers
potfish
Old 03-07-2003, 12:39 AM

When I did the course a bloke had flown in from Ireland and Don lent him his track prepared Capri 2.8i to learn in, very nice of him but having driven both of them if you get chance bring your S to get the most from the day as the capri is light years from the S
Old 03-07-2003, 12:49 AM

Best thing to do is to give Don a ring and discuss it with him. I'm sure he will be able to help.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by potfish
Does anyone know if he can provide a car?

I am really interested in doing some training but (a) there's nothing round here, Dijon being the nearest I think and (b) I'd prefer to do it in English.

Although the expense of driving the S2000 from here to Bruntingthorpe is not inconsiderable, it's more the time that I have a problem with. If I could use a car provided by the organisation then that would be considerably easier for me.

If not there, anyone know any other good training courses where they could provide a car? I'm looking for a similar type of thing, exploring and pushing the limits, car control etc.

Cheers
potfish
Hi Potfish,

I asked him about this last year. He can hire you a car (I think it was a Capri, or some bit of 70's architecture). It would be best to use your own as you will learn more about the limits of the car you drive.

JohnB

Quick Reply: Don Palmer Creative Driving Course