UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driver training

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 for RideDrive. Here was my review.

http://www.s2kuk.com/news/Review-of-RideDrive/175
Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't discount training through ROSPA did mine a few years ago and found it useful it smoothed out my driving style and in fact made me quicker over a given drive.

You are awarded a grade depending on your level of driving the top level seems to be regarded as highest level a non police driver can achieve.

Contact your local group and go for a test drive and see what you think only cost is applying for your test and membership, oh and a retest every 2 years I think.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioed above really. Make sure you have decent tyres, a good geo set-up and a bit of respect and they're not scary at all.In fact they're amazing fun!

I personally believe that a lot of the "horror" stories come from people not giving the car the full respect it deserves. Anything fairly small with a stiff chassis and 240hp through the back wheels will get out of shape if you provoke it. By far the most important thing from my experience of the car is to drive it smoothly. If your control inputs are smooth and progressive then the result is something which will just stick and go

You really won't go far wrong with some track time, it's a great environment to get to know your limits and those of your car too. MSV & Javelin do evenings through the summer months which are probably ideal for a taste of what it's like.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get on track and teach yourself @ http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/
Old 05-01-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Puke
I think that's bad advice as he could a) be really annoying to others on a track day if he is over cautious, b) be dangerous to others and himself if unpredictable and c) trash the car if unprepared for its handling.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
Originally Posted by Puke
I think that's bad advice as he could a) be really annoying to others on a track day if he is over cautious, b) be dangerous to others and himself if unpredictable and c) trash the car if unprepared for its handling.
By all means get on track but if you're a little unsure it's worth taking someone who's got a bit more experience or having time with an instructor to build your confidence. As we all know, you do see some shocking driving on trackdays.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Pricey1959 above.

Get some details for your local IAM or RoSPA group.
They all should be more than happy taking you out for a "test" drive.

If you lived closer then I would be more than happy giving you some "hints and tips" as I used to be an IAM observer (like a trainer).

I was extremely lucky and got a Class 1 police driver (Eddie Hopkins) to train me - such an eye opener! I recommend it to everyone no matter how good you think you are.

If you enjoy it like I did then you can take the IAM or RoSPA test (or both like me) and then get you S2000 ensured for £165 a year! (when you get to my age)

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 05-01-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by minvo

If you lived closer then I would be more than happy giving you some "hints and tips" as I used to be an IAM observer (like a trainer).

I was extremely lucky and got a Class 1 police driver (Eddie Hopkins) to train me - such an eye opener! I recommend it to everyone no matter how good you think you are.

If you enjoy it like I did then you can take the IAM or RoSPA test (or both like me) and then get you S2000 ensured for £165 a year! (when you get to my age)

Hope this helps

Steve

Be interesting to get a "performance rating" from you Steve! I like to think i'm reasonable but i'd probably get a shock!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by minvo' timestamp='1430484246' post='23597764

Hope this helps

Steve

Be interesting to get a "performance rating" from you Steve! I like to think i'm reasonable but i'd probably get a shock!
More than happy helping out if I can.
You certainly did very well on track the other week!

Steve
Old 05-01-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Class 1 police driver (Eddie Hopkins)
Been with a drive with him as well, i was driving the Police car <no light on>

Quick Reply: Driver training