UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driver training

Old 05-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

http://www.s2kuk.com/member-discounts.php?c=9
Old 05-02-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. I did all the research myself and learnt about how tail happy the car was and about being smooth smooth smooth and it has definitely helped! I picked up my S last week, had my first ever driving experience day at Elvington Airfield yesterday in a Nissan GTR and Lambo Gallardo so i am a total novice.

I've got VSA on my S but i've already had the ass out a little because im not used to it (which im glad it happened as i already know the upper limit to my skills but it wasn't intentional lol) and i had VSA blip a few times on a corner yesterday but i can already tell after 4 days of owning it and about 100-200 miles of driving i can see improvement in how i control the car in corners etc, but like yourself i want to be properly trained as this car needs respect and boy has it shown me that!

My problem is the prices for track days etc are absolutely ridiculous £100+ for 20mins or something? (through brief investigation) Seems insanely priced! So i just dont know where to go that offers quality training in my car not another - I'm assuming it's better to learn in my own car than another right? Although im sure skills will be passed on from car to car.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Trikz
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. I did all the research myself and learnt about how tail happy the car was and about being smooth smooth smooth and it has definitely helped! I picked up my S last week, had my first ever driving experience day at Elvington Airfield yesterday in a Nissan GTR and Lambo Gallardo so i am a total novice. I've got VSA on my S but i've already had the ass out a little because im not used to it (which im glad it happened as i already know the upper limit to my skills but it wasn't intentional lol) and i had VSA blip a few times on a corner yesterday but i can already tell after 4 days of owning it and about 100-200 miles of driving i can see improvement in how i control the car in corners etc, but like yourself i want to be properly trained as this car needs respect and boy has it shown me that! My problem is the prices for track days etc are absolutely ridiculous £100+ for 20mins or something? (through brief investigation) Seems insanely priced! So i just dont know where to go that offers quality training in my car not another - I'm assuming it's better to learn in my own car than another right? Although im sure skills will be passed on from car to car.
If you did an airfield Trackday it would cost around £120 or so for the whole day. You could get 20 mins of training for another £25 and have the rest of the day to put what you learn into practice. I think they are great value for money and great fun
Old 05-02-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S2000 has a temper alright, but from my experience so far it only tends to bite you when you're provoking it. Don't drive the car like a twat and you *should* be fine.

There have however been a few occasions when I've been making progress and the back starts to come around, or a bit eager entering a roundabout etc. It's these situations where you need to know what to do in order to correct it (or hold it depending on the size of your balls and your skill) without causing any danger to yourself or other road users.

Personally I'm going to book myself on a skid pan day at Thruxton where you get tuition in your own car. I want to make it a natural reaction when the back comes out, rather than my current ham fisted approach.