UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Driving advice/New Owner

Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyres are the main thing, don't buy cheap and don't try to use the last few mm if it's winter, as for driver training I can recommend the Andy Walsh car limits day but he only does down sarf
He will teach you to recover from loosing the rear in safe conditions and give you a better understanding of the dynamics involved with a rear wheel drive car
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Feb 6 2011, 10:33 PM
Tyres are the main thing, don't buy cheap and don't try to use the last few mm if it's winter, as for driver training I can recommend the Andy Walsh car limits day but he only does down sarf
He will teach you to recover from loosing the rear in safe conditions and give you a better understanding of the dynamics involved with a rear wheel drive car

Also my tyres need changed soon, even though they are still legal (just), i find the handling is ropey at this stage more so than any other car i have driven with tyres in the same condition.

Don't skimp on tyres.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Going to an empty carpark/airfield etc and understanding when the back end is going to kick out, how that feels and how to try and pull it back is a good idea (and good fun too)

The first time it happened to me in my bm was on an icy city center rad, I was very lucky there were not any cars passing me in the opposite direction. Once you know how it feels/when its going to go you can prepare yourself better.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM

I agree with everybody else take it easy for at least 6 months slowly build up confidence in the car and most of all just be sensible behind the wheel or it WILL bite
Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with what my esteemed colleagues above have posted. My normal rule of thumb is don't go above 6000rpm in the wet. It's served me pretty well.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Par

The performance driving experience at Knockhill is not a bad shout, for just over £100 you get an hour of driving tuition on the track.

Lets you find the limits in a safe environment.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

I was petrified with all the horror stories about S2000's being insane to control and what have you.

However in 4 months all thats ever happened to me is a bit of a twitch hitting Vtec in the rain.

My own stupidity. The car has done nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM

I did a few racing tuition lessons at Thruxton in a Lotus Exige S, personally I learnt so much that day about weight and throttle balance it was invaluable to driving any car properly, particularly the S which thrives on progressive driving.

I would highly recommend doing a track day or just getting some driving tuition of some sort. All knowledge earned can be put on the road.

Avoid pot holes like the plague. (if you value your spine/car balance!)

I have spun the car a few times, but that was me finding the limits and poking the car with a stick. Only lost it once unexpectedly and that was due to diesel on the road, grrr. The police always used to clear up split fuel, obviously too busy catching speeders to worry about keeping the roads safe.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dappa,Feb 6 2011, 02:31 PM
I was petrified with all the horror stories about S2000's being insane to control and what have you.

However in 4 months all thats ever happened to me is a bit of a twitch hitting Vtec in the rain.

My own stupidity. The car has done nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.
ahh cheers guys. good advice.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 689R,Feb 6 2011, 12:44 PM
insurance is just under 1700. not bad for my age i reckon.
alright mate. Recognise your name from HTUK! welcome along

whos your insurance with if you don't mind me asking...?

Quick Reply: Driving advice/New Owner