UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Early or Facelift ?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early or Facelift ?

Hi Guys
Just thought I would introduce myself. I’ve been in the Jap seen for years but last year I strayed over to the Dark side and bought an E46 M3.
On Paper it was a very good car but I just couldn’t get on with it so it’s been sold.

Now I’m in the market for an S2000. Initially I thought an 04/05 Facelift would be what I’m after but I’m not sure now.
I’ve read that the gearboxes can give problems, and are they worth the extra money?

If anyone has owned both and could give some advise on the differences and what to look for when buying that would be helpfull.
I was at Japshow2 at Donington yesterday and had a chat with some of you there which was great.
Are there any local meets in Essex that I could come too?

Thanks for your help

Matt
Old 07-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gearboxes are the same in all the UK S2k's I believe, and the facelift looks so much nicer from every angle! Well worth the extra!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WayneCallar
and the facelift looks so much nicer from every angle! Well worth the extra!

No they dont.

Get a proper one.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM

The gearboxes are the same in all the UK S2k's I believe, and the facelift looks so much nicer from every angle! Well worth the extra!
This..

the pre facelifts just seem to look really dated now
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned them both. The MY00 JDM I owned was raw and a bit more aggressive. Maybe it was because it was my first S2000. I've got MY07 car now; the gearbox feels much better and there are no sounds from the diff. I can't compare the stock suspensions because I've got coilovers on my new car. IMO the facelift model looks better too. Earlier models with front lip look good but the facelift rear bumper looks much better. What comes to power delivery, I drove a JDM MY99 car recently and my car was much smoother when accelerating. On earlier (non-remapped) cars there's not much happening before the kick (VTEC kicks in YO ) at ~6500 rpm. It feels faster and more powerful but it isn't.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The gearboxes are the same in all the UK S2k's
That's not true.

The gearing is the same, but some of the synchros have been redesigned/changed.

Chris.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Originally Posted by WayneCallar' timestamp='1341869069' post='21845943
The gearboxes are the same in all the UK S2k's
That's not true.

The gearing is the same, but some of the synchros have been redesigned/changed.

Chris.

I belive when we got the facelift we got most in not all of the upgrades the USA and Jap AP2 had except the 2.2L engine. It would have made no sense for Honda to produce two versions of the car. So that includes the beefed up gearbox.
Model Year differences

There are a few differences between the MY99 - MY01 models and the MY02 - MY03. The MY04-MY05 and MY06-MY07 have further changes and a slight facelift from the earlier models. Note: The wind deflector became standard from MY01 onwards.

MY02 differences

• Glass Rear Screen
• Cd player with tweeters built into the door
• Slightly restyled polished alloys
• Chrome rings around the rear lights and chrome front light surrounds
• A softer suspension setting which makes the car slightly less "pointy"
• Repositioned headlamp washer switch

Some like the suspension changes and others do not, it is probably best to try both cars if you are in the market for a used S2000.

04 Differences

• New front and rear bumper design
• 17" wheels with different Bridgestone tyres
• New front and rear lights
• Facelifted interior
• Some suspension changes which include a slight ride height change and a little softening of the rear end.
• Colour coded headlamp washers
• Factory fitted alarm
• New colours...

06 Differences

• New Colours - Deep Burgundy Metallic, Bermuda Blue Metallic
• New Interior Colour - Brown Leather
• Drive-By-Wire Throttle System. Ues a computer sensor to input throttle as opposed to pulling on the throttle cable
• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control. A combination of computer controlled throttle and individual wheel braking to control sudden changes in vehicle behavior. VSA has a turn-off switch where the defrost button (moved) used to be.
• 20 lbs heavier
• Redesigned road wheels
• Redesigned steering wheel
• Brake Assist, which helps drivers apply full braking pressure in an accident avoidance situation via the ABS actuator. Braking pressure is maintained momentarily after the driver's initial braking action to help the driver stop promptly. It deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal
• Exterior temperature gauge
• New seats (interfaced to air bags for weight and position)
• 4 of the 8 speaker audio system are integrated roll bar speakers
• New intake manifold, fuel rail, intake support bracket, and injector cover
• Only one cam sensor
• New style map sensor
• IAT sensor has moved to the rubber intake tract
• Fuel line at engine is now a quick-release type
• Air pump, associated lines and and control valve, have been eliminated
• Fan switch in the radiator has been replaced with a second CTS, in turn the fans are now computer controlled
• HO2S in the header is now referred to as an Air fuel ratio sensor
• New exhaust center section

From the FAQs I belive the gearbox came as part of the mysterious "20Lbs heavier"
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Gearbox much nicer on the later cars.

However, I had the opportunity to swap my MY00 for a friends immaculate MY04 with a little extra cash and ran both for a week. I decided to keep mine as it was more fun.

The 04> cars are a much nicer place to be - less NVH, nicer gearchange, better ride, less twitchy etc. But on the right road on the right day the MY00 was more fun for me. The 04's suspension was just too soft at the back for my taste.

I'd say try both.

(BTW if you get a pre March MY00 you only pay £180 tax)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Regards road tax, if you get a post march 23rd 2006, drop your pants and hold your breath!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Racer27
Hi Guys
Just thought I would introduce myself. I’ve been in the Jap seen for years but last year I strayed over to the Dark side and bought an E46 M3.
On Paper it was a very good car but I just couldn’t get on with it so it’s been sold.

Now I’m in the market for an S2000. Initially I thought an 04/05 Facelift would be what I’m after but I’m not sure now.
I’ve read that the gearboxes can give problems, and are they worth the extra money?

If anyone has owned both and could give some advise on the differences and what to look for when buying that would be helpfull.
I was at Japshow2 at Donington yesterday and had a chat with some of you there which was great.
Are there any local meets in Essex that I could come too?

Thanks for your help

Matt
Have a look in the meets section; there's one next tuesday in essex.

Quick Reply: Early or Facelift ?