UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ECL on and very ropey engine

Old 02-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Oh. You're not gonna like Euan's answer Simon.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Davey - what time are you there until tomorrow?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Beardie,Feb 27 2005, 07:54 PM
Oh Oh. You're not gonna like Euan's answer Simon.

If you've got the same problem as me, it's a real PITA.

Very long story..............

First kangerooing episode.. very violent, clears after a couple of minutes. After a few times this happens (from warm starts always, not cold), CEL comes on. Take to dealer, they blame injectors & dirty fuel, give me "gas treatment", seems OK for a while.

Second episode - 3 months later - same thing, this time they take 10 days to diagnose, turns out to be wiring loom that goes from engine bay to near cat, water getting in and corroding, confusing ECU, CEL comes on. Solution - replace loom under warranty.

Third episode - 3 months later, goes through same process as in 2 above. (dealer never believes me when I tell them symptoms as before, and checks the loom last, so I am without the car for a week again)

Fourth episode - same as 3 - dealer tells me a known problem in that water runs in corner of engine bay, then down loom into connector which corrodes - this time they speak to HUK who suggest a "bodged" plastic splashguard (with mastic) in corner of engine bay - seems to work for a while.

Fifth episode - 3 months later, same as in 4 - dealer doesn't believe me etc etc etc. 3 weeks without a car later, eventually turns out it's the male pins for the connector to plug into the ECU which are corroded (they later show me my ECU, and the pins are corroded) - replacement ECU under warranty (otherwise
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 AM

I need to leave work tomorrow no later than 6.00 as I have to be somewhere soon after.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Simon, I am usually found on the 'net most nights and weekends as television is of little interest to me.

Usually find myself creating some point of sale advertising we can use later or working on computers getting them running again.

I also keep an eye on any interesting topics on here and the Type R forum and occasionally selling the odd item on Ebay.

Am quite busy really.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 PM

Oh !!!

Davey, you havn't seen any of this and I may discuss the very reasonable extended warranty we were discussing !!

No CAT though so would this still happen ??

As long as next episode is three months later then the Prelude will be back.

How about AEM ECU, will that hide the problem, or is it just wiring, took airbox lid off today and can see how heat soak could be a problem, engine was running for quite a while with no air passing through the radiator, hot air to air box etc, and water from car wash....

Hoping that, combined with needing an oil top up could be the answer.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:15 PM

The kangooring I had was much worse than the warm air heat soak stuff - VERY violent, and power loss to the point of being dangerous.

Corrosion would well be an issue, whatever the ECU - according to my dealer, Honda are aware of the loom corrosion but have not made an attempt to resolve it. Don't know if that applies to corrosion on the ECU pins as well. If you have diagnostics, and can get someone to check them, it might narrow the problem down to something harmless.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:23 PM

Simon, honestly, of course I haven't seen it. Just as I know we have not got any loan cars available tomorrow as they are all booked out so I must get yours sorted while you wait but remember we will be in chaos as there are loads of cars being prepared for Tuesday.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the significance of Tuesday

Quick Reply: ECL on and very ropey engine