UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Electrical fault

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical fault

Hi all,

I've owned my S2000 for around 2 years now never had a problem and runs perfect, always looked after and serviced every 4000 miles and its kept very clean. Its on a 2000 plate which is the AP1 version and has 54000 on the clock.

I will try and describe the problem as best I can:

On the way to work one morning the dash board lights were flickering and the car was cutting out, but mangaged to get it started after it cutting out a few times and got to work, after work I went to start the car and nothing..... So tried to jump but still nothing, battery is tested and working fine.
Once the ignition key is turned fully on, there are no dash board lights and no reaction when pressing the start button so not cranking at all, but here is the weard thing......
The radio still works, the side lights work, the blowers work, the central locking works and the mobiliser is disarming (clifford alarm) but there is just no dash ignition lights or nothing...

There is live power going to the fuse box, all fuses have been light tested and are fine, the key barrel is outputting as it should and is working fine

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any idea what the fault could be?

Any ideas or input would be very greatfull as I miss driving the car, and its only been off the road 3 weeks!

Thanks

Shaun
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Usualla duff battery - did you test the battery under load?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Dead battery
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you cleaned and tightened the terminals recently?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM

The battery reading was over 12V though, like 12.6 or something like that.. also if it was the battery wouldnt there be any dash lights on? such as the warning lights, beacuse not even those come on
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Have you cleaned and tightened the terminals recently?
Yeh cleaned the terminals still nothing, theres power going to the fuse box, because the side lights and such are working, just seems to be no power at all going to clocks waring lights and stuff like that
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar on my MX-5 once - I had the same as you (12.5 on the battery!) and when sticking it on a charger and getting it at 13.5 volts it would start and run.. for a bit and then die again. I replaced both battery terminals, twice, this improved it but didn't solve it. I replaced the starter motor, did nothing, brand new battery, improved it but not solved it... In the end, I discovered there was an earthing point on the bottom of the car, on the gearbox housing.. this had corroded so badly it snapped off when I touched it - wired in a new earth to the battery - hey presto, problem solved

Anybody know if there's any earthing points for the S2000 under the car? Perhaps not, as the battery is in the front and not the boot...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I've been under my car a lot recently and there is indeed an earth strap underneath - about where the passenger's feet would be. It connects to the engine block IRC so would probably affect starting.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah one between the engine block and subframe. Passenger side as stated, Access from underneath, with a 6mm bolt (10mm head) either end of the cable.

Have a butchers
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Yeh I originally thought it was a earth cable, the one under the car seems fine, little bit of corrosion but connection is ok, also checked all connections to the alternator as I read they sometimes go but all fine,

I towed it to an auto electrician yesterday, so I'm hopping they are gonna get back to me at some point today with the problem, il keep you up dated cheers guys

Quick Reply: Electrical fault