UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Finally got the suspension sorted..!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got the suspension sorted..!

It's been nearly 2 months since I got my coilovers fitted. I knew I had to get an alignment done but unfortunately when I first took it to TGM after fitting the coilovers every geo bush was seized

So I ordered polybushes all round and booked it back in with TGM.

At the same time I got hold of anti bump steer kits for front and rear as I'd heard good things.

TGM had to order some bolts and sleeves to do the job as well. Factoring in the price of coilovers, the polybushes, bump steer kits, bolts/sleeves needed and the labor costs (Tom reckons they spent 25 hours on my car just doing the bushes), this is about £2300 worth of work. £650 for a set of Meister R's seems like a great deal until you add up all the extras you need to do.

This is the geo the guys put on, I'm going to see how I get on with it and can then make any changes once I've got used to it.

The good news is that, not surprisingly, the car is totally transformed! The first thing I noticed was the steering feels so much more direct now. There's a bit more weight to it on initial turn in but the 'dead zone' it had before has gone. You literally turn the wheel and it changes direction now! You can place the car exactly on the road very accurately - I didn't realise how bad it was before the set up!

Through corners it feels really planted and well balanced. Hopefully we get a nice weekend so I can explore this a bit more. The bump steer kits are doing their thing, too. There was a section of road I use on the way to work which is riddled with bumps and would moved the car around loads before. That's totally gone now. It feels very solid and to use the cliche, 'confidence-inspiring' !

Expensive to get it all done, but touch-wood I will be keeping the car for a while now so makes sense to get it all properly set up. Now to book a track day, finally!

Anyways, just thought I'd share so anyone considering lowering their car is aware of the possible pitfalls although I would say the end result is worth it - thanks TGM for all their help
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I loved driving away from TGM after a full geo - such a solid feel when the car is sorted properly. Not surprised you are pleased with the results looking at those camber and caster mismatches before adjustment!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 AM

Glad I spotted this post, I'm in the same position myself (well, I know my bushes are seized) and have been speaking to TGM too.

Just to verify, the £2300, is that the price for all listed (coilovers, the polybushes, bump steer kits, bolts/sleeves needed and the labor costs) ?

Which brand of polybushes did you go for?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:25 AM

interesting - what ride height are you at? I'm gathering data to get my geo set following adding some koni sports (but keeping standard springs).
Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 AM

Anfrax, £2300 was the rough price for everything I listed. The TGM bill will depend on how many bushes are seized. I know Tom did say he's getting fed up of doing them though as they are such a pig of a job and take so long to do

s3 - I'll get a pic later but I guess I have about 1.5cm from tyre to arch, standard wheels so lowered a good couple of inches I guess.

I went for powerflex bushes
Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 AM

Cheers for the reply Rich, Powerflex is on my shopping list currently, only 2 lower bushes are seized (thoroughly) but makes sense to get the lot done... any excuse :/ I assume you opted for purple over black for hardness?

I had a quote for supplied bushes & labour but wasn't sure on the breakdown, i.e. if i supplied powerflex etc. Good to know a more realistic price guide than a guestimate
Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM

I got the purple ones, yep. The only research I really did was that the 'polybush' branded red ones were very firm, and the JDM brands were over priced.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not looking forward to doing mine. I'm pretty sure every bolt is seized
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently doing mine and yes, every bolt has seized in place
Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
Anfrax, £2300 was the rough price for everything I listed. The TGM bill will depend on how many bushes are seized. I know Tom did say he's getting fed up of doing them though as they are such a pig of a job and take so long to do

s3 - I'll get a pic later but I guess I have about 1.5cm from tyre to arch, standard wheels so lowered a good couple of inches I guess.

I went for powerflex bushes
All of mine are seized. Tom was quite vocal about hating doing them too. Job for 2015 for me I think.

Quick Reply: Finally got the suspension sorted..!