UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fitting a Modifry dash bracket - Help!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a Modifry dash bracket - Help!

Hi,

Anyone had any trouble when fitting the Modifry Dash bracket (RHD version obdiously)?

I just can’t get all the dash clips to fully snap back into place. The one that seems to be the problem is between the top of the heater controls and the heater vent and no matter how many times I try it just seems rock solid when I push back against this area when the bracket is fitted which is leaving me a gap of around 1/8th inch around that area of the dash.

I’ve tried re-fitting without the bracket and it all snaps back in fine.

I’ve then cut back as much of the hard dash plastic that I can and even trimmed some of the leg from the clip mentioned above as I noticed the bracket fouls this slightly when in position but none of this has made any difference.

I’ve read Bob's instructions over and over again but still seem to be struggling with the refitting of it

I've emailed Bob for some help but thought that some of you guys might have "been there, done that".
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fitted mine following his instructions, and I don't recall having any issues, except cutting myself with the knife, whilst I was trimming the dash plastic back. Luckily no blood was spilt in the S.

I remember that after my first attempt, I hadn't cut the plastic enough, so there was a noticable gap, but after the second attempt it was OK.

Bharat
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the plastic clips can deform slightly on the back of the dash and once it has, no amount of shoving will get it to clip back. At that point you have to trim away the bent bit.

I dont have the dash bracket but had the same issue when re-fitting mine.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitted one a few weeks back. The dash surround doesnt quite sit flush, ans I guess there is about 1/8 of an inch gap, but I couldnt see any way to get the surround any closer as the bracket is in the way.

That said I heard my clips snap back in place and it did take a little bit of jiggling and its not as close a fit as Id like. However, Ive tried to hardwire a sat nav cradle in, and the thickness of the wire prevents it sitting any closer......

Have you tried "lifting" the dash surround before clipping it back in place.

Its good enough for me so not an issue. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks, sounds like I may have to put up with the gap

I might have another look tomorrow or at the weekend when I've got more time as with all this messing about I can see areas where I have been a but clumsy....Argh!

I've got a feeling I might just have to hack more of the hard plastic back or grind down the edge of the bracket that points into the dash. It could be that that edge is too long and hitting something behind it
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is fine...I chopped off a fair bit though, but not enough so it looks untidy.

Have a look at the shape of your cut when you push the dash back in...it might be slightly out.

I doubt the bracket is too long...most unlikely.

Also take into account any wires that you may wish to route, and cut concealed holes for those too
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Holy thread revival batman.....

Slipped my own bracket on today, and yes, cut my finger with my Stanley knife Other than that, it was pretty easy to bolt on. There is though, about 1mm more gap than before, to allow for the bracket. It isn't as flush and also the middle clip does get a bit bent going back into its clip holder. Fit and finish of dashboards winds me up, when you remove these things you can get annoying rattles some months on.
Expect me to moan about that

Nice bracket anyway, we will see how it goes over the next few months (rattles lol)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 AM

Another holy thread revival batman.....

Just a quick question on this bracket from modifry. I have emailed Bob asking him when the RHD bracket will be available as its out of stock.

In the meantime, its states that the bracket is the opposite as the LHD bracket. My logic is that if you flip a LHD bracket over will it simply turn into a RHD bracket or are the holes/clips different?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb1978
Another holy thread revival batman.....

Just a quick question on this bracket from modifry. I have emailed Bob asking him when the RHD bracket will be available as its out of stock.

In the meantime, its states that the bracket is the opposite as the LHD bracket. My logic is that if you flip a LHD bracket over will it simply turn into a RHD bracket or are the holes/clips different?

Thanks
It's not symmetrical, so it won't fit. Look at photo 4 of the installation instructions and you'll see why. http://modifry.com/products/mounts/M...%20Bracket.pdf
Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 AM

Thanks lovegroova I'll see what bob says about availability

Looking to fit the ultragauge to one

Quick Reply: Fitting a Modifry dash bracket - Help!