UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Flashed!!!!

Old 11-11-2001, 11:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flashed!!!!

Bo!!ox!! I was flashed by a speed camera on the way to work this morning . So annoying as I drive this route 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year! I wanted to nip past some cyclists before a rapidly looming bus / parked car bottle-neck. Does anyone know what proportion of these cameras are loaded with film (this is one of the old fasioned low tech grey buggers)?.

And if it is loaded with film, are they likely to say anything about my mis-spaced number plate?

What a great start to the week! Hey-ho, onwards and upwards
Old 11-11-2001, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah that sucks

Time to give Mr Gatso a necklace IMO.... (old tyre filled with petrol around the box, just add match for extra crispy film stock)

Seriously though, did you notice if it gave 1 flash or 2? Dummy units only give 1, genuine SOB's give 2. Hope you are in luck and the box was out of film.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:56 PM

Sorry to hear it Ian. Where were you flashed? Get a radar detector. They are very good against gatsos.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:08 AM

Ian,

Number plate - shouldn't have to worry as I think it just enters the system as a speed offence and a ticket is despatched (
Old 11-12-2001, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago in my Mr2, I came off the A5 at Cannock heading along Wolverhampton Road towards the M6. The initial stretch is Gatzo City! I pulled out to overtake an old fart dothering along in a Skoda and hit about 45mph (in a 30) and copped an alarming flash off one the cameras!

I was quite worried about it and had a word about it with a West Mids Traffic cop I know. (The camera was on Staffs County Police area). After laughing his bollox off and telling me it served me right, he confided that Staffs County were so short of funding that they only had one actual camera for the whole of the county
which they moved around at intervals. In short he said that the odds on the camera not being a dummy were definitely in my favour. I never heard any more about it.

I hate these bloody things but you can see how they're so cost effective, and they're springing up everywhere. There have been problems with contested cases though. Some cameras don't get a sufficiently sharp picture to read the number in the first instance and they're computer enhanced to bring up the number. Some astute lawyers have had cases thrown out on the grounds that the number is therefore not original 'Primary' evidence.

The other thing which may or may not be ongoing is that as you know motorbikes, for some years have only had to display a rear number plate. Some cameras can actually photograph front and rear plates, and because of this a case was being taken to the European Court Of Human Rights on the grounds that those cameras discriminated against cardrivers. and therefore violated our human rights.

Now that I like!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:25 AM

SP30 - now 3 points and
Old 11-12-2001, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steven:

I think if you compare notes with Brian sometime you might feel a whole lot better
Old 11-12-2001, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To cheer you up Steven due to a medical condition that affects driving, but my insurance currently starts with a 4 and has 3 more digits before the decimal point...

I'm pretty sure I'm the unlucky winner of the most expensive insurance award.

-Brian.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:22 AM

That has cheered up

Still, i'll settle for second

Old 11-12-2001, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]That has cheered up

Quick Reply: Flashed!!!!