UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Flat spot in traffic - do I have a problem?

Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spot in traffic - do I have a problem?

Hi All,
I first had this problem at Xmas, whilst I was stuck in traffic on the A1, I was just crawling along, and as the car in front moved off, I just tried to set off to close the gap. I was just off tick and the engine died on me, putting more throttle on did nothing until finally I shot off kangaroo-ing down the A1.
Since then the throttle has seemed very sensitive, and a jerking can be felt under acceleration in the lower gears.
Anyway the kangaroo-ing came back on Monday, after being sat in traffic for about half an hour, so she?s going in.
What I have worked out is that there is no flat spot until the car is sat in traffic for about half an hour, then this flat spot appears just off tick over up to about 1800RPM which makes crawling in traffic difficult, as I don?t want to rev to 2K just to move forward 3 feet.

Anyone else experience this? Just like some feed back before it goes in.

Cheers

Gary
Old 01-16-2003, 12:03 AM

I too have found this when queung in traffic - I have managed to drive round it by using lots of revs
Old 01-16-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Common complaint rather than 'problem' S2000 is constantly on an emissions mission, so on giving a little gas the mixture would probably have been very lean, it has been explained properly on here somewhere. As long as its not all the time (then the O2 sensor may be faulty) its something most have lived with.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:14 AM

Never experienced this - but isn't this the hot air intake symptom? Hence CAI?
Do a search on kangarooing - brings up lots of things

I'm probably wrong
Old 01-16-2003, 12:16 AM

As Paul says, a known 'feature'.
Airbox off makes this worse too.
Deft use of clutch and accelerator hide the symptoms.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem is the reason that Aus created the Air Intake Extension which has proved very successful in resolving the issue.

The problem is caused by the stock air intake being at the top of the engine bay, as you sit in traffic the air inside the engine bay gets hot and when you accelerate the engine takes a nice big gulp of hot air! Combine this with what UK_Paul said about being on an emissions mission and you get a hiccup. Without an air intake extension of some sort you just have to get into the habbit of blipping the throttle before you pull away - it still catches me out from time to time though, very embarrasing!!

- Adam.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have this problem, but then, thankfully, we don't have half hour traffic queues in my part of the world

Gaza, I deleted your other thread with the single "Hi All" post and the same title
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UK Paul
[B]Common complaint rather than 'problem' S2000 is constantly on an emissions mission, so on giving a little gas the mixture would probably have been very lean, it has been explained properly on here somewhere.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:53 AM

I have this same 'problem' even thought we don't have big traffic jams I've learned to live with the embarrassment, but now I know why, I'll remember to give the throttle a stab before moving off from now on
Old 01-16-2003, 09:30 AM

I get that problem - just dip the clutch and give it a few more revs and let up the left foot.

Quick Reply: Flat spot in traffic - do I have a problem?