UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Flooded Engine Question

Old 12-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Flooded Engine Question

Quick question there peeps, i cleaned the IACV and TB and had carb cleaner in the intake manifold and after id put it back together started it straight away like the dumbass i am. Anyway it died before i planted the foot to burn it off and ended up flooding it. So i tried it after and it wouldn't start and i had thoroughly flooded it then. I left it ages with the oil cap and TB open anyway and got it started earlier, it chugged a bit and then started fine. I left it run for a few minutes but it had lots of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Now this is because it was very wet here recently and there is petrol in the oil too i reckon. Anyway i was planning an oil change soon anyway but i was wondering is it ok to start and let the car warm up so i can change the oil properly?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why not. How do you know you flooded the engine ?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sound_wave
I don't see why not. How do you know you flooded the engine ?
Bizarely a few weeks ago mine felt like it had flooded. Pulled into a petrol station, filled up with fuel and when i got in i didnt hold the starter button long enough and the car choked abit and didnt start. when i pressed the button again i had to hold it going for about 10 seconds before it sparked into life. Everyother time ive started it its started within 2 seconds or so so it was abit of a surprise.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the S2000 has the usual Honda flood clearing setup, but I haven't had cause to use it. If you think the engine is flooded, floor the accelerator before pressing the starter. When the ECU sees full throttle with the engine not running it goes into flood clear mode - so disables the fuel injectors. Turning the engine over for a short time (5-10s) like that is usually enough to clear it. So then stop cranking, release the throttle pedal and start normally.

You can also use that trick if you have a spin on track and the engine stops because you didn't get the clutch in fast enough. When that happens the engine often has exhaust gas back up through the intake - which doesn't want to burn again. So it takes a while of cranking before the car will start. If you use the flood clear trick that pumps air through the engine, so after that it will start normally.

To the original poster, the benefit of draining more of the oil from having it properly warmed will be far greater than any potential extra wear from running diluted oil under low load at idle to warm it.

-Brian.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Cheers mate, i just emptied it cold and threw some new cheap 10w40 to make sure the bad stuff was all gone.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turtle
I think the S2000 has the usual Honda flood clearing setup, but I haven't had cause to use it. If you think the engine is flooded, floor the accelerator before pressing the starter. When the ECU sees full throttle with the engine not running it goes into flood clear mode - so disables the fuel injectors. Turning the engine over for a short time (5-10s) like that is usually enough to clear it. So then stop cranking, release the throttle pedal and start normally.

You can also use that trick if you have a spin on track and the engine stops because you didn't get the clutch in fast enough. When that happens the engine often has exhaust gas back up through the intake - which doesn't want to burn again. So it takes a while of cranking before the car will start. If you use the flood clear trick that pumps air through the engine, so after that it will start normally.

To the original poster, the benefit of draining more of the oil from having it properly warmed will be far greater than any potential extra wear from running diluted oil under low load at idle to warm it.

-Brian.
Great info, thanks!