S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine oil top off question

Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine oil top off question

So here's my question guys don't bash on me, I got my s not too long ago and the oil was freshly changed so I didn't bother with it, well my maitainance light came on and I was going to do an oil change but our jack in my dads work truck at work so I can't do it until the late afternoon, so I thought I could just top off the oil a bit without draining it just to be on the safe since ap1s burn so much oil, I would rrally hate to starve my engine. Now my question, is there some sort of indication on the fill port other than just the dip stick cause I've never been too good with those. Am I suppose to be able to see oil thought the fill hole? When I look in there all I see is the shafts or whatever they are but no oil in sight. Also my was engine cold when I checked if anything has to do with it. So how do I just top off the oil to be safe? And dont get me wrong I'm still going to do the full oil change when I get the jack but I want to make sure I have oil in there because I have something to do later and its my only ride. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need to do an oil change if it was just changed...that light is disigned to come on at certain intervals..the person who did the oil change just didnt reset the light...and no theres no indication other than the dipstick and no you shouldt see oil through the fill hole...oil sits in the oil pan and sucked up through the oil pickup...typically if the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick i put about a quart in it...just add it slowly and keep checking the dipstick so you dont overfill it
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM

The light do come on at certain intervals and is about 5000 miles after reset.

To use the dipstick correctly I would let the car sit more than an hour, then use a clean paper towel to clean the dipstick. Put the dipstick back in and check a few times until the same amount show up at the same spot on the dipstick. Then I will add the oil depending how much it needed.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 PM

If yours is like mine, one side of the dipstick will get oil way up on it, but the other side will show the true level. Pull the dipstick and wipe the end with a paper towel, then reseat it. Pull it back out and look at both sides to see which one has a nice line of oil across it, hopefully across the XXXXXX section. It's especially hard to see when the oil is still clean after a change. Practice!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mellowyellow999
The light do come on at certain intervals and is about 5000 miles after reset.

To use the dipstick correctly I would let the car sit more than an hour, then use a clean paper towel to clean the dipstick. Put the dipstick back in and check a few times until the same amount show up at the same spot on the dipstick. Then I will add the oil depending how much it needed.
This is the most accurate way to check. However you might wanna check your oil randomly when putting gas. I notice if I drive my car hard I'm not burning the oil like I thought but rather when driving longer distances period. I went from being topped off to needing about a quart within a 2 month period/ 1,000/ 1,500 miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM

When ever you work on a car that requires jacking car, make sure to use jack stands.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Not trying to be a jerk at all...

But if you're asking questions at this level it would be best if you had a mechanic change the oil rather than try it yourself.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lopez14
so I thought I could just top off the oil a bit without draining it just to be on the safe since ap1s burn so much oil, I would rrally hate to starve my engine.
Make sure it's low. Don't just assume.

Originally Posted by lopez14
Now my question, is there some sort of indication on the fill port other than just the dip stick cause I've never been too good with those.
You're going to have to get a lot better with them with the S. The uneven sides on the dipsitck is very common. They're very simple to use on any car. You can't just rely on looking through the fill opening regardless of the make/model of the car.

Originally Posted by AMBeck
If yours is like mine, one side of the dipstick will get oil way up on it
If in doubt, wipe the dipstick and try again. They'll eventually match.

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
you dont need to do an oil change if it was just changed...that light is disigned to come on at certain intervals..
+1 Search for maintenance light reset.

Originally Posted by 05thumper
But if you're asking questions at this level it would be best if you had a mechanic change the oil rather than try it yourself.
+1. If you can't check the oil level in a car you really shouldn't be changing the oil. Both overfilling and underfilling can cause problems. At least read up a bit first. Don't overlook searching s2ki. Here's the entry in the manual (flip to page 113):
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...707O00110A.pdf

There's nothing unusual about oil changes or checking the oil level with the S.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05thumper
Not trying to be a jerk at all...

Eventually he should learn to do it. It's one of life's essential skiills IMO, like simple cooking and managing money, every guy should know basic auto maintenance. The first time I did an oil change I was 14 years old and read, re-read and double checked the Chilton manual for my dad's car a dozen times. Just be careful and get an experienced buddy to help if possible.