UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front strut braces

Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front strut braces

I often see people say front upper strut braces are no good, why?

I guess because it negatively effect rigidity/working of the suspension or in fact does nothing at all?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it because the turrents already have a big beam welded across connecting them below the airbox to stop any flex?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-09-2012, 02:55 PM
MSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Isn't it because the turrents already have a big beam welded across connecting them below the airbox to stop any flex?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
This is what I was told, hence why mine is for bling and bling alone. It's added weight though and it bothers me. It also gets in the way of the fipk filter surround.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They work well on cars with Macpherson Strut front suspension as the turrets are a pick up point for the suspension and steering - if they flex it affects geometry. On double wishbone cars the effects of flex are much less as the turret isn't a direct pick up point.

I can't see they'd cause any harm other than additional weight.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought mine made no difference when I first go it, but I have to admit, I took it off once and I could feel the car was flexing more.

So it makes a difference, but a small one. As Tim says, probably a lot of people put them on FWD cars with Macpherson struts (I had one on my FTO) where they do make a big difference and assume it's going to be the same.

The one to get on the S is the rear lower, for some reason.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
I thought mine made no difference when I first go it, but I have to admit, I took it off once and I could feel the car was flexing more.

So it makes a difference, but a small one. As Tim says, probably a lot of people put them on FWD cars with Macpherson struts (I had one on my FTO) where they do make a big difference and assume it's going to be the same.

The one to get on the S is the rear lower, for some reason.
I agree - experimentation suggests that fitting one brace alone seems to transfer the flex to the other end - ie, a bottom brace seems to create a feeling of flex at the damper tops. Ultimately, both provides the best steering feel, which the standard car lacks.

Likewise, replacing the piece of trim at the back with a proper bar improves breakaway feel markedly. I was sceptical at first, so hopefully it isn't just we're all suffering from confirmation bias.

I am always incredulous that some will ruin their cars will poorly-contrived coliover lowering kits and crap wheels, etc, without trying the one simple, cheap and easy improvement first, which makes the car how it should have been fromn the factory. Honda would have sold many more in the UK if it hadn't frightened so many inept hacks with the early cars.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes recently fitted front and rear lower braces, I was very sceptical about their worth, but did notice extra "feel" in the steering and from the back in the twisties.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_sam
Yes recently fitted front and rear lower braces, I was very sceptical about their worth, but did notice extra "feel" in the steering and from the back in the twisties.
Which ones did you fit?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

whitline fromt cosco rear
Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Spoon. Lower X and rear both

Quick Reply: Front strut braces