UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front suspension woes!

Old 11-05-2001, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension woes!

My S2000 has only covered 3000miles.Since i first took delivery it had a little knocking noise from the front drivers side suspension. I didn't want to be parted with my car so i delayed taking it back to the dealer,but the noise got louder.I booked the car into a certain Honda dealer on the ring road of Nottingham,they had the car two days and gave it me back saying they couldn't find any problems. I drove the car off there forecourt and heard the knock straight away! On reccomendation i booked it into Lookers at Mapperley,a Honda dealer. They rang me within the hour. The damper had lost all its oil and was bottoming out. The oil was so clear to see, it was everywhere. The first dealer hadn't even taken the wheel off!They should lose there franchise, they where appalling.
Anyway thats my moan out of the way,I just have one question for anyone mechanicly minded. Do i need my suspension geometry setting up again,and if so would the dealer know what they are doing?
Old 11-05-2001, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if your tracking etc wants setting up, but in your position, I'd want it checking out. Were lucky in having Brindley Honda at Cannock fairly local to us. They have a great reputation with the people on this board. Some have been prepared to travel a long way to take their car there. They also have a brand new state of the art steering /tracking machine.One of our guys from Shrewsbury recently hadhis tracking done by them. I think it's about a 2 hour job to it right., but you can wait for it. Why not give them a bell and make an appointment? Good excuse for a ride out!
Old 11-06-2001, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dwrights
Do i need my suspension geometry setting up again,and if so would the dealer know what they are doing?
Sorry to hear the problems. You do need really need to get the tracking set when changing dampers. PWE 896 has had a full alignment done:

Steering/Alignment Thread

Since replacing the damper is certainly a warranty job, I'd ask them to do an alignment at the same time. Hopefully they'll do it under warranty.

Most (probably all - but I'm not certain) modern alignment machines can give you a printout of the car's readings. It might be worth asking for this. Nice to know, and then you're sure they actually did align it.

If you want to complain about the dealer you can go through the Honda customer service line - 0845 200 8000. I did this after being appalled with one dealer. Don't know if it did any good or not though. Certainly made me feel better!

-Brian.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:57 AM

I had a four wheel digital alignment check as my fronts were wearing unevenly. Gordon lamb organised this with a local garage. They adjusted the front and the rear at a cost of about
Old 11-06-2001, 06:19 AM

Thanks for all your help.