UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front wing, repair /replace

Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wing, repair /replace

Hi all.

Had a small parking scrape on the edge of the drivers side front arch.Two choices, replace or repair.
How are wings removed? Screws I assume - hard job to tackle ?

any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM

repair if it's just a scrape, wing shouldn't need removing it needs quite alot of damage to need replacing just find a good bodyshop if your round the manchester area give me a shout
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

probably easier to repair but without pics hard to tell,

if you get a replacement wing it will cost quite a bit and always the chance the paint might not match correctly and look bad
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've been hit 3 times whilst parked and in each case a new wing was fitted. In one instance, the paint match was very bad, the other two were done very well and blended properly into the doors/bonnet

Here was the first one

Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve curtis
Hi all.

Had a small parking scrape on the edge of the drivers side front arch.Two choices, replace or repair.
How are wings removed? Screws I assume - hard job to tackle ?
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Once the bumper is removed it takes around 10 mins to remove them,what colour is your car?I have both my new formula red ones in my loft.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 PM

If its going through insurance then a new wing, if its coming out of your pocket a repair looks possible. Difficult to tell from the proto, there may be a crease in which case its a little more difficult, but any good bodyshop should be able to get it looking 100% without replacing.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If it's a touch-up job, do that.

If it's bent & you can obtain a better one from a scrapper, do that - if it's the right colour & there's no guarantee it will match exactly even then.

Hanging them is a black art; you have to get the top aligned perfectly to get the shuts correct & then adjust the lower bolt to get the feature line to aligh & it takes patience.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I've been hit 3 times whilst parked and in each case a new wing was fitted. In one instance, the paint match was very bad, the other two were done very well and blended properly into the doors/bonnet

Here was the first one

easy repair that i could have it sorted for around £200
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Actually, that wasn't an insurance job, but a third party paid for it (low loader company). The repairer suggested that due to the complexity of sorting the creases on the arch a new wing was preferable.

A new front wheel was also required, such was the depth of the chinks taken out of it.

Just out of interest, how would you repair that, as it needs some precision panel beating and a complete respray as far as this untrained eye can see.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM

we would get the shape back in using pdr techniques then fine skim of filler spot prime it paint it blending along the wing towards the door and lacquer the full panel as for the wheel if it was staying polished then replacing would be the only way otherwise it is an easy repair and paint/ powder coat it

Quick Reply: Front wing, repair /replace