UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel gauge

Old 11-26-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confusing and rather irritating. I wish it would just show how much petrol I have rather than being so 'helpful'.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if one of the accessory manufacturers is out there....... a neat little analogue gauge, going nowhere near the ECU, to stick unobtrusively under the dash?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 PM

I have to say this is one thing I miss about the S3 - it showed you how much fuel you had in the tank on the gauge, and gave the "helpful" guesstimate of how many miles that was equal to.

I know more than the ECU does about how I am about to drive - quick/slow/traffic/free road etc., I'd just like to know how much liquid is in the tank!
Old 11-28-2004, 02:10 PM

The S's fuel guage is like a 's drawers
Old 11-28-2004, 02:21 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dreamer,Nov 28 2004, 10:57 PM
I have to say this is one thing I miss about the S3 - it showed you how much fuel you had in the tank on the gauge, and gave the "helpful" guesstimate of how many miles that was equal to.

I know more than the ECU does about how I am about to drive - quick/slow/traffic/free road etc., I'd just like to know how much liquid is in the tank!
I thought it just shows you how much is left, albeit, like most cars, inconsistently and badly, perhaps due to fuel tank shape Don't see what the ECU has to do with it Or is that a MY04 thing?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by neil_s2k,Nov 26 2004, 08:57 AM
It's a design feature of the S. The fuel gauge is terrible.

I think the ECU compensates for how you're driving and works out how much fuel you have left. So if your car is cold and running on the automatic choke it uses a load of fuel and tells you you've got none left.
Think this explains.

Think this is my 1st corner!

(Could someone please explain the significance of a 'corner' to me).
Old 11-28-2004, 02:42 PM

Handbook just says "this shows how fuel you have left" not guesstimate till you run out Oh well whatever it doesn't work too well so I use the trip meter trip for safety too
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 AM

Yep my fuel guage is the same, once you get used to it it's fairly easy to know when it's lieing and when you really are going to run out of fuel.

I only got 210 miles out of my last tank
Old 11-29-2004, 02:48 AM

The 'fool' gauge in my Jordan was exactly the same, be on a run (motorway) - plenty of fuel, get into traffic fuel gauge would suddenly drop to nearly empty and left you wondering if you would make the next petrol station. Never trusted it.

But must be the cold weather, the last few day the gauge in the S has been playing up.

Picked it up from the dealers - 4 bars of fuel. Stopped at a post box jumped back in still 4 bars of fuel but petrol light was on........

Filled up with petrol yesterday and started up gauge did not move from the two bars it was on......

I first wondered if I had missed the fuel tank somehow.....very confusing after driving for a short while it decided that I had put petrol in and the gauge moved.

I wondered if it was because the dealer had put some fuel system cleaner in on it's 18,000 mile service and it was having a strange reaction to it.

But glad to see it's not a continuing symptom of my madness.

BTW.... talking of fool gauges, on the empty side of the gauge is their an LED between the red mark and the rest of them ie.....

!XXXXXXXX
as mine seems to look like this
! XXXXXXX

Cheers
Old 11-29-2004, 03:37 AM

My fuel gauge has always been totally reliable - until this morning on my first journey for 12 days having been away on holiday.

Display showed 2 bars left and the petrol light on. I filled up with

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge