UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Gear change notchy

Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gear change notchy

Is it just me?? I'm new to this S2K car?

So on my MY01, the CMC was failing and the clutch moving too close to the floor for comfort. Anyhow I've replaced the CMC and complete bled the system using a reverse bleed method along with compressing the slave (to ensure there was no air stuck in the CSC). Adjusted the pedal and I've good travel on the clutch now, the engagement point is almost at the top of the travel and the free play I've reduced to probably about 3-4mm.

Coupled with a diff and MTF change and a re-grease of the release leverl, bar stripping out the clutch and gearbox, we're all fresh.

Now, I still get some notchy gear changes!!

I know the shift is directly on the transmission and I can only describe it that I can feel the synchros catching. I feel it 1-2 and 2-3, less so on 3-4 or 5-6. Downshift can be the same - it's all pretty random.

Is this normal? I've read countless reports of notchy feeling and the someone posted that when warm it shifts like butter. We when warm, mine doesn't shift like butter that's for sure!

Also, when I'm at the lights and clutch-in to put it into first, I can hear a "clunk" from the drive as if the clutch is dragging. But I only get this in 1st not in 2nd? If I raise the rear of the car, clutch-in and put in 1st, there doesn't appear to be any drive. So I'm pretty sure that the clutch is not dragging.

So, should I be able to "feel" the synchro's do their thing?

Car has 37K miles.

Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the notchyness, and it felt exactly as you describe, like you can actually feel the synchros.

Changed the clutch fluid = no difference
Changed the gearbox oil to the correct Honda MTF3 = Massive improvement, now only slightly notchy, acceptably so, when cold.

The clunk sounds like a bit of transmission shunt to me, I've heard that one before, from the back of the car? No idea on a cure... but I'm changing diff oil next.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I get a clunk when going into 1st when stopped also, afaik its normal?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Clunk is normal - it's the diff essentially taking up the 'slack' between it, the driveshaft and the gearbox.

As for the notch - it goes away as your revs increase (so at higher speeds it disappears.)

It also disappears if you wait a split second between gears (ie out of first ... Wait a heartbeat... Then in to second.)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Ok, it's reassuring that it's not just me!

I suppose I'm coming from a 2.4 6MT Accord and it's like night and day as an overall drive (as expected). By comparison the Accord box was very smooth. The S2K gearbox almost reminds me of driving my NT700V Deauville, it was just never smooth, but very effective.

Again, it's new to me, so it'll probably just take time.

The clunk is there when I put it into 1st from a stop and don't let the clutch out. I take it, this is the lose fluid drive tightening "slack" rather than committed drive?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BCA
The clunk sounds like a bit of transmission shunt to me, I've heard that one before, from the back of the car?
Yeah, that's exactly it. It's exactly like as described, the transmission taking up the "slack". Not sure of the backlash specifications of the drive, but it just seems unusual. But if we're all getting it, then it's probably normal as sound_wave has said.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Le8

I've always been told the gear change on the S is notchy.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jayok

The S2K gearbox almost reminds me of driving my NT700V Deauville, it was just never smooth, but very effective.
Deffo not just you. I've had an MY03 and an MY05. Both do it.

Good way of describing the gearbox - it's just a barebones, bloody good gearbox which is suited to high rpm gear changes.

...don't ever say it's like a 'rifle bolt' though. Pisses me off as it's nothing like a real rifle bolt. (It's easier to use for a start and doesn't need cleaning as much, the awkward buggers!!)

Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sound_wave
Originally Posted by jayok' timestamp='1390426561' post='22978342

The S2K gearbox almost reminds me of driving my NT700V Deauville, it was just never smooth, but very effective.
Deffo not just you. I've had an MY03 and an MY05. Both do it.

Good way of describing the gearbox - it's just a barebones, bloody good gearbox which is suited to high rpm gear changes.

...don't ever say it's like a 'rifle bolt' though. Pisses me off as it's nothing like a real rifle bolt. (It's easier to use for a start and doesn't need cleaning as much, the awkward buggers!!)

Was waiting for that bit

Mines also the same, it likes being raced, only gear that I find REALLY doesn't like being raced is 4th to 5th, rest are sound like.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I find my gearbox very notchy from cold but once warm its much better. I also find it slips into gear much better when you are putting alot of revs through the box. Feels silky smooth with the revs but abit clunky at low speed day to day driving.

Quick Reply: Gear change notchy