UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

gearbox

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox

Ok, the gearbox on my 01 with 50,000 miles is making a whinning, wherring noise, i have had the car over a pit and jacked up running the car through the gears, noise is there from about 30 mph and gets louder the faster you go, not dead loud but loud enough,under the car it sounds like it is coming from the very back of the box where the prop is joined to the gearbox, ihave changed the oil to motul g300 and its still the same, maybe even worse
If there is a bearing their, is it a case of splitting the box to change it or can it be changed without removing the gearbox?
thanks, jamie
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Has it done it all of a sudden? Or is the car new to you?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 AM

AFAIK there is a rear extension on the box and it sounds like it's the bearing that carries the output shaft.

Looking at the drawings I think you need to remove the whole assembly then split the "Rear cover" as it's called in the manual off of the box.
The rear shaft needs to be pressed out of the bearing before it can be replaced.

Yoy might be able to take the rear cover out in situ but the workshop manual does not have a process for doing this.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:02 AM

i have had the car for 3 years, i think it has allways had a slight whinning noise, but in the past say 6 months it has got louder,not much but i can hear it more. Is this a job that needs doing asap or should i just leave it and call it a charactoristic of the car, its well out of warranty and i do most of the servicing myself, but gearbox work is beyond me.
The gear change is good with no crashing and seems to be working fine.
thanks
jamie
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by jamieM,Sep 25 2007, 10:02 AM
i have had the car for 3 years, i think it has allways had a slight whinning noise, but in the past say 6 months it has got louder,not much but i can hear it more. Is this a job that needs doing asap or should i just leave it and call it a charactoristic of the car, its well out of warranty and i do most of the servicing myself, but gearbox work is beyond me.
thanks
jamie
All gearboxes get noisier with age. If it's a slight whine rather than a distinct rumble then I'd be tempted to leave it unless it suddenly gets worse.

Despite your careful checking under the car it's possible that the noise is coming from the gears themselves rather than a bearing. If this is the case the box could go on for many more years giving good service.
Check around the back of the box carefully for any sign of oil leaks. If all is OK and the box is not apparently using gear oil then I would not worry about it as an immediate problem. Treat it more as something to keep an eye on.
Also when you change the g/box oil examine (wear gloves) what you drain out v carefully. Any sign of debris (even if it looks like fine sludge) is cause for concern.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 AM

Thanks for that aldfort, no theres no leaks and the old oil was very clean so hopefully nothing to worry about,cheers
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 AM

Jamie, i don't want to worry you but this may be of interest to you.

S2Ki Under the Hood Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by composite guru,Sep 25 2007, 02:36 PM
Jamie, i don't want to worry you but this may be of interest to you.

S2Ki Under the Hood Thread
- The galling on that one bearing is pretty impressive. Looks like it must have started to chatter at some point.

Not overheating as far as I can judge. Either poor bearing or debris in the g/box I would have thought. Or low oil at some point setting the whole thing off.

Still - did you notice that the box did not actually fail. - and it would have been making a fair old racket by the time it was taken apart.
Glad to see the parts were cheap. Just depends how good you are with gear box overhauls Jamie
Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jamieM,Sep 25 2007, 10:02 AM
thanks
jamie
Gearbox oil change recently?

Micropitting develops from oil film thickness breaking down.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

yes changed the oil a couple of weeks ago, well after reading all that it doesnt look good does it?

Quick Reply: gearbox