UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Gearbox

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox

Hi

There is a slight rattle coming from the gearbox (appears to come from below and towards from of car when I am sitting in it). The service garage (who did AA check on car - which I bought privately) said that it was common enough and nothing to worry about though suggested change of gearbox oil on next service.

Changing gear is smooth and easy in all speeds/gears - although I can 'feel' it going into gear, it's not like a Fiat where you can't feel if it's in gear or not it's so spongy. However, tonight I pulled up at a junction and couldn't put the car into first gear - the first time this happened - I put it into third or fourth and then I could put it in first.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Sounds fine to me, not being able to put it in first happens from time to mine, lift foot from clutch and put it back in and it should be okay . As for the rattle one suspects that there's a worn bush somewhere
Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM

i've had the 1st gear issue on my S and 95 'lude.
lude did it since i bought it and i kept it for 3years - had 2 clutches in that time too.

i've just put it down to the cogs not lining up right, and lifting clutch, or aligning gears back up by putting into another gear usually fixes it.
i doubt anything to worry about.
rattling probably the clutch. again, nothing to worry about, and it's just a noise that wont cause any damage. it's just iritating and would be fixed when the clutch wears.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM

gearbox was always a little stiffer to get into gear when the weather is cold and always got better after a few miles

as for rattle?

is it a vibration rattle ?, does it go when you put your foot on the clutch?

i never heard a rattle when i owned it (apart from the hardtop )

get that hard top off and then all the noises will change

if you'r not carefull you will just be listening for noises rather than just enjoy the car.

the S2000 is a raw car , you'r sitting next to the engine (the reason you will burn if you don't use the air con) and virtually on top of the gearbox

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM

The car is far better with the roof off. I must admit when I first got mine I thought that it was a bit agricultural with all the whine et al. But remember it is a sports car not a limo. I quite like it, makes me feel that the car is communicating with me. (The voices, I can hear voices)

Same problem with notchy gear change but it gets better when warmed up

Happy motoring
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by B0ZWELL,Mar 6 2008, 03:53 PM
gearbox was always a little stiffer to get into gear when the weather is cold and always got better after a few miles

as for rattle?

is it a vibration rattle ?, does it go when you put your foot on the clutch?

i never heard a rattle when i owned it (apart from the hardtop )

get that hard top off and then all the noises will change

if you'r not carefull you will just be listening for noises rather than just enjoy the car.

the S2000 is a raw car , you'r sitting next to the engine (the reason you will burn if you don't use the air con) and virtually on top of the gearbox
To be honest I'm not terribly worried about it - it's just something that Bexhill came up with and they certainly weren't worried about it though they said perhaps I should change the gearbox oil on the next service which I'm doing before my trip to France ( and avoiding gendarmes) - just thought I would ask.

It goes when my foot is on the clutch.

Just had new tyres put on it and it's looking good!

I consider this to be a good purchase!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by juventino,Mar 7 2008, 09:00 AM
To be honest I'm not terribly worried about it - it's just something that Bexhill came up with and they certainly weren't worried about it though they said perhaps I should change the gearbox oil on the next service which I'm doing before my trip to France ( and avoiding gendarmes) - just thought I would ask.

It goes when my foot is on the clutch.

Just had new tyres put on it and it's looking good!

I consider this to be a good purchase!
If it goes when you put your foot on the clutch it's probably something to do with the clutch. IIRC someone on here stated that some of the earlier models had noiser clutches. (But I may be wrong)