UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Geometry setup help

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok somehow I've not recognised that my front right tyre is a Bridgestone reo40 rather than a reo50 like the rest! Could this cause the pulling?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Indeed it could be your problem , why do people mix up tyres , I wont even do it on a mundane car

You need to sort that , sort the geo and check the calipers.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Indeed it could be your problem , why do people mix up tyres , I wont even do it on a mundane car

You need to sort that , sort the geo and check the calipers.
God knows! Not like the reo40 is any cheaper.....

But hey will get a reo50, unseize the camber bolts, check calipers and hope for the best :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Agian , you need 2 tyres minimum , so they have the same rolling radius , i.e tread depth, and come from the same batch , so thier age is the same and the compound is from the same mix.

I am not familiar with the tread paterns of the 2 bridgstone tyres or the constrution but i bet they differ, as a result the levels of grip and rolling resistance will differ.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Agian , you need 2 tyres minimum , so they have the same rolling radius , i.e tread depth, and come from the same batch , so thier age is the same and the compound is from the same mix.

I am not familiar with the tread paterns of the 2 bridgstone tyres or the constrution but i bet they differ, as a result the levels of grip and rolling resistance will differ.
Yh you are probably right, they must be constructed differently as there would be no point making both a reo40 and reo50 tyre.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That odd tyre would defo cause a problem like you are encountering I reckon, especially as you reckon it's not under braking but on acceleration?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
That odd tyre would defo cause a problem like you are encountering I reckon, especially as you reckon it's not under braking but on acceleration?
Well I certainly hope so as that's a lovely simple fix!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

There was a thread a while back that had "identical" tyres (same make and model) but suffered the same symptoms as you - pulled one way on acceleration and the other on braking. They discovered (at Centre Gravity I think) that they had been made months apart in different fabs so it's definitely worth sorting out if something that small can make a difference. I can't find the thread but will post it up if I find it.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
There was a thread a while back that had "identical" tyres (same make and model) but suffered the same symptoms as you - pulled one way on acceleration and the other on braking. They discovered (at Centre Gravity I think) that they had been made months apart in different fabs so it's definitely worth sorting out if something that small can make a difference. I can't find the thread but will post it up if I find it.
Thanks that would be an interesting read! Crazy that the same tyres can be made differently and effect handling of the car like its doing!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Here you go https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/992...-was-the-tyres

Quick Reply: Geometry setup help