UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Got my S2k - Yeah. Making a worrying noise - booh!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my S2k - Yeah. Making a worrying noise - booh!

Hi All,
I picked up my S2K earlier today - but my joy only lasted 5-10 miles. Because after that I could hear a worrying noise.

The sound is best described as a whirring / rotating noise which increases in frequency in line with the car's speed.

At lower speeds it is more like a rotating noise - like something is rubbing against something else as it rotates. At the higher speeds it sounds like a tiny little engine spinning its heart out.

The noise occurs regardless of whether the car is in gear or coasting in neutral.

When the car is in gear, as I accelerate the frequency increases to reach a high pitched whine by the time I reach 70mph.

If I take my foot off the accelerator - whilst still in gear and at reasonable speeds - the noise changes to what can best be described as screeching noise. Once I apply the accelerator the noise switches back to the whirring noise.

I am still trying to go through the service history but at this moment it looks like the diff fluid has not been changed for at least 2 years!

I am back home now - but the journey was butterflies in my stomach all the way home - and not the nice butterflies - more the anxious one!

Rang / emailed the dealer but he says it is just the normal diff noise and I am not used to it after driving cosseting family cars for so not used to the raw noise of an S2K. Also, he says that I wont hear the noise when the roof is down - as was the cause during the short test drive he gave me.

But I have been in a MX5 and VX200 - they certainly don't noises like that. Also, the other S2K I got a test drive in with the roof up did not make any similar noise.

Any ideas what the noise could be?

Thanks in advance for all replies!!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

My drive never seems like a smooth quiet place to be , it is a noisy car and at times mine to me sounds like a bag of rusty spanners in spin driver , last couple of weeks I keep thinking i might have a dodgy wheel bearing or some such .

Now a screech, how about a brake disc dust shield rubbing ! Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Well it sounds like this at lower speeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbwBXzhH7pA - ie below 30 miles an hour.
But as you speed up the frequency of the beats increasing so it becomes a high pitched whine. And like I said the weird thing is if I take my foot off the gas, it sounds more screechy - as as I apply the gas - back to the whine.

Will try and record the sound.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much, whirring like that is either bad bearing, stone stuck in caliper shield so it's touching disc, or likely I think it could be a dragging brake. Go for a quick 5 min drive, doesn't have to be spirited. Have a feel of your wheels- if it's red hot to touch, you have a lazy or seized brake piston. Hopefully not an ABS issue, not unheard of but uncommon. Most of the time it's the back calipers that can seize at this age if they've missed a damn good servicing.
HTH
Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 PM

It could be a diff issue if the noise changes with acceleration and deceleration.

You will need a decent video for any useful diagnosis, or find a good independent local to you that knows these cars
Old 06-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can hear a whining slightly in the background when you slow which sounds like diff but the throbbing noise that is prevalent in the recording could be tyre related? Can you feel any vibration through the seat?

I would be heading back to the dealer or a reputable independent.

Ask the collective for a recommendation based on your location.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try and take it out today and record the sounds at different speeds and post it up here for review.

In the meantime - can anyone recommend a mechanic / garage in the Ilford / East London / Essex area? OR should I as this on a separate thread?

Cheers all!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Hi all,
I made a few audio recordings in the car

The first one is me driving along the M11 at 70mph and then slowing down by taking foot of gas, then applying gas again and then taking the exit slip and slowing down to a halt - with a bit commentary on what is going on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oflgr2jc13...n.aac.zip?dl=0

Second one is as was approaching my house so doing around 30mph, slowing down to turn into street and eventually coasting to a stop.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmaqttxlio...p.aac.zip?dl=0

I hope these provide some clues on what the noise might be.

I still plan to take into a garage for some diagnostic once someone recommends one. Otherwise I will just the place I have been using for years for our family car MOTs / repairs etc.

I took the car out a few times today with the windows down which mostly blocked this horrible noise out of my mind - so plenty of fun was still had!!

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't access your dropbox vids but the first one on youtube sounds like wheel bearings or even tyres. Depending on your tyre brand and how new or old they are it could well be that. I've heard that noise before with crap tyres and thought it was a wheel bearing. I've also heard a wheel bearing sound like that on the back of my Audi and thought it was the crap tyres

I wouldn't worry too much. Its definitely not your diff.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Floppy
I can't access your dropbox vids but the first one on youtube sounds like wheel bearings or even tyres. Depending on your tyre brand and how new or old they are it could well be that. I've heard that noise before with crap tyres and thought it was a wheel bearing. I've also heard a wheel bearing sound like that on the back of my Audi and thought it was the crap tyres

I wouldn't worry too much. Its definitely not your diff.
That is interesting. I know the recent MOT the seller had done did have an advisory on the NSR tyre as being low - but still legal....

Going to Halfords tomorrow for a safety check and also have an appointment at a local garage for Thursday. Would be great if it was just the bleeding tyre - as I was planning to replace that anyway.

Quick Reply: Got my S2k - Yeah. Making a worrying noise - booh!