UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Grit, tyres. Ouch.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grit, tyres. Ouch.

Bit of a confessional and hopefully will prevent any other s2k owners making fools of themselves (and scaring their living daylights)...

I'm a newbie to the forum, but have lurked for ages.... so forgive this as my first post, and please don't be too unkind

Driving up sliproad of junction 6 m4, on my way to work.... not going too fast, but definitely accelerating Bang on the front drivers side, lost control (think it was grit, if I am honest, but could have been the tyre, or something else). Actually, not just lost control. Completely going backwards.... full 180, within about 0.01 of a second. Less of a skid than "a magic reversal of car" I have been on Drivetech skidpan training, but this was utterly different to anything I have ever experienced on the track or in training, and a bit like my beloved car had decided to bite me. Hard. Very hard. backwards up the hill.

http://homepage.mac.com/jmounter/PhotoAlbum29.html

(terrible quality photo - taken with one of those
Old 12-27-2003, 12:27 AM

Glad you walked away, and that no one else was involved. That is what really matters.

How is the car? Cannot really see from the picture.

Any further thoughts on the cause? Was the front offside tyre deflated?

Not the best way to "arrive" on the board - but welcome! Get posting on the off topic area while you have the time. There are some great people hiding there.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome The car is in a pretty bad shape. Front axle is completely buggered. Front bumper assembly ripped off. Both front tyres came off the alloys. Rear quarter bashed and concave. Drivers side big dent. Recovery people had to drag it along the ground to get it off. I don't think the chassis will be in a very good condition, but then they are tough little buggers, aren't they!

I was too shaken to properly investigate the cause of the accident... the tyres were completely gone afterwards. Could have been a sidewall, it was a big bang!
Old 12-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the board Pity you had to do it this.

The mian thing is that you are okay. Cars can always be fixed, whereas people cannot.

Paging Mr Carper. Could Mr Cheshire Carper bring his winter mishap list 2003 to this thread.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome so sorry to here the news though not the best xmas then!
It sounds like tyre! I had a rear go on me at 80 0n m1 in a 1967 MGB roadster i was overtaking a large truck at the time lukely i stayed in a straight line!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have been a lot worse as you say!! Sounds like a very sudden loss of traction on the front offside wheel due to either a blowout or grit. I take it the rear of the car spun to the left? Either way, it's pretty unlucky as continued acceleration would have induced/accelerated the spin, as would braking or lifting off the gas.

Glad you're OK and I sense The Carper hovering in the background to append you to his list!
Old 12-27-2003, 01:21 AM

Sorry to hear of your mishap. There but for the grace of god.......

Hope your back on the road soon.

Glad your OK
Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 AM

Thanks guys, made me feel better sharing with you .... Thank you again for the welcome
Old 12-27-2003, 01:28 AM
MrV

At least your ok Gadget ,the car is only metal and can be straightnd out

Shame to see a local member to me make the list
Old 12-27-2003, 03:04 AM
Ade

Originally posted by gadget Both front tyres came off the alloys. ............. Could have been a sidewall, it was a big bang!
This sounds mechanical to me (a mere amateur). To rip the tyres off the alloys requires something a bit special, surely.

I think we'd all appreciate some pictures of the car, if you can get some better ones.

At least you're OK. Metal can be bent back/replaced.

Welcome to the board, gadget! Hope to see you at a meet in the new year with your shiny repaired car.

Quick Reply: Grit, tyres. Ouch.