UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

GT3 A-Spec

Old 12-09-2001, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 A-Spec

I don't about you guys , but I first got to try out the S2000 after driving it in GT3!!
The Audi TT was ruled out straight away (poor engine response and too much understeer), Porsche Boxster (RUF 3400 in the game) was checked out, wicked engine but......too boring?!?
No BMW Z3 to drive but then again i'm no hairdresser! M coupe is a different proposition altogether....

Having progressed to the latter stages of the game ( 62% completed) I'm having serious fun with the Tuscan speed six. This car has everything, wicked looks, great engine, superb handling( very throttle adjustable, no understeer) and a space age interior...if only it was made in Japan!

Seriously, this game gave me an insight in to what to put on my shortlist, i'd be interested to find out how you came to your decisions and what other cars were in the running...maybe some of you used GT3 too

cheers,

Sanjay
Old 12-09-2001, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it wasn't Gt3!

My last 2 cars were a Ford Probe 2.5 litre and an MR2 Late 97 model. I loved the MR2. The cockpit is a great place to be rather like the S2000. It's a seriously underrated great handling car. Like all rear engined cars, when they spin they spin quickly, so it needed careful handling in the wet. If it had a fault for me, there's an annoying flat spot to be overcome in the rev range about 2.5K revs, before it goes!!

When I was looking to change, I was looking for something quicker than the MR2 and I fancied a roadster so it came down at that time, 18 months ago to, S2000, Audit TT, and Porsche Boxster. All were quicker than the MR2. I test drove each of them and the S2000 was the one with the 'Wow Factor'. I knew within 5 minutes of starting the test drive that I was going to buy one. The rest as they say is history!

I would have considered a TVR BTW but for price and dubious reliability issues.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:11 AM

Cedric,
I also tested TT, Boxster and lastly the S2000. I was going to put a deposit on the Boxster, and just on the off chance 'phoned my local dealer who had a used one in that day, I turned up at about 5pm and the Sales manager took me out. He gave me a demo 1st off ( jeez, i almost wet myself ), and then i had a go.....To say i was impressed!! The engine/gearbox combo was amazing, my deposit was on the table that same evening. The Porsche guy 'phoned the next day...he didn't seem too surprised by my choice!!

I use the car as my daily driver and whilst it's a pain to get in and out of, i can't think of anything else i'd rather have for the money. Maybe a 911 (964) RS if i could stomach the servicing!

Sanjay
Old 12-09-2001, 11:19 AM

Pretty well my sentiments too! It's a damned Supercar!
Old 12-09-2001, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sparmar1
[B]Seriously, this game gave me an insight in to what to put on my shortlist, i'd be interested to find out how you came to your decisions and what other cars were in the running...maybe some of you used GT3 too
Old 12-11-2001, 02:31 AM

Before I got the S2k I drove a Prelude VTEC, and I only bought that because I was addicted to a friend's Civic VTEC, so when the S2k was announced, it was a fairly done deal. Due to lack of demo cars, the first one I drove was mine. Some of the reviews saying it was tailhappy worried me, but I went for it anyway.

Previously I'd considered a Boxster, or M3, but I'm not keen on the image, the dealer attitude, or the excessive price for extras and servicing, and when you look at value for money and cost of ownership for the S2k, it's pretty unbeatable. I could have got the TT, but it is just a stylised squashed Beetle or a Golf with a pretty bodyshell and a bigger turbo, and we all know that VW/Audi haven't really done anything good (handling wise) on the Golf platform since the Corrado. The Impreza and Lancer EVO weren't really what I was after either, so there's not really much in the way of reliable performance to choose from.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:42 AM

I had been testing Nissan Skyline's - and probably if I had been limited to just one car for the family that would have been the choice...but everybody has one here (like an XR3i from the 80's). I read a lot about the S - but when I saw the S2000 in the metal close up - that was it for me The other alternative was a 2nd hand 911 or Chimera - but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle.