UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard Top Fitting - Help Please

Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Fitting - Help Please

I struggling to get my hard top fitted and adjusted do it doesn't rattle or squeak... [Yes I have read all the posts about how to stop rattles with tubing, and all the Honda manuals on fitting and adjusting, and I have applied copious amounts on Shin-etsu grease].

Please can anyone answer the following specific questions:

Does the 2008 UKDM roadster model have the 'Hardtop Strikers' fitted from new? ]The fitting instructions for the 2008 model I've seen indicate that the strikers included in the kit are not used - and so I assume these are for earlier models. However parts lists I can find still list different part numbers for Hardtop and Soft top strikers, and no indication of superseded numbers.]

How far forward should the hardtop go? Please can someone with A GT measure the approx/average width of the fron black seal showing when fitted? [As far as I can tell the boss is fully home in the striker but it exceeds the 1 mm measurement (hardtop edge lower than the windscreen surround. I have a problem with this measurement though - the drawing implies the windscreen is a straight edge, so you can put a ruler on it and make the measurement - it isn't straight so the measurement is impossible to make accurately.]

Thanks in anticipation

Dave
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this doesn't help, but mine's an MY00 and I literally just bought a used hardtop, installed the fitting kit, and the hardtop fit perfect, no adjustments needed, this is with soft top strikers too, only until recently i've upgraded to hardtop strikers and now the seal is even tighter, no wind noise at all
I have also heard the majority of hardtop fitting requires minimal adjustment, if any.

The 2008 model S and all GT's have the hardtop strikers as Honda actually only supply the hardtop ones and discontinued the soft top strikers.

I can try taking a photo of the line from front edge of my hardtop with the top edge of the windscreen if it helps you out in any way?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you based mate, might be a GT owner close to you that you can compare with?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 2006 car and fitted the HTG kit and dropped a s/H HT right onto it with no issues.
No difference in the strikers AFAIK.
I had about 6-7mm of rubber showing - hardly compressed at all.
Its only a hollow rubber seal so no need to ram it up hard.

I used self amalgamting rubber to pad the strikers on the HT and the ST, this stopped rattles.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've been experimenting with some shims (made from an old credit card) to compress the square rubber grommet behind the boss on the latch.

This seems to improve things, so it maybe that the rubber has hardened a bit. I've ordered two new ones anyway.

Update!

Solved - I made some 1.5 to 2 mm shims out of some 'lite-ply' (wood) - catches are nice and tight and no rattles on even the bumpiest of roads.

Later I may find cut up the old rubber grommets and glue a 2mm slice to the new ones....

Dave
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you have sorted it. I've uploaded a picture anyway
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 AM

An update to my trials in fitting my hardtop and eliminating the rattles. This may be useful for others fitting a second hand hardtop....

After much adjusting of the hard top rear catch bolts, per Honda instructions, and the window glass, I found no way to eliminate the rattles and the high speed wind noise.

The last things I did was to change the number of shims under the catches. This was a lengthy and difficult task because the left catch threads were screwed up and couldn't be removed. I had to drill them out - after which I discovered that an attempt had been made to repair the female threads. This was a complete screw up - the rivnuts were not fitted correctly. I have now properly fitted M6 rivnuts. I know have one shim each side - instead of the standard 3. The intent is to lower the roof onto the front seal to reduce the wind noise.

On re-fitting the hardtop it was still rattling, mostly from the left catch. I slotted the catches to allow them to be moved forward a few millimeters - it made no difference.

The only remaining possibility was that the catches were too worn. The hook and the conical boss are worn. So as test I used some metal repair filler and carefully reshaped the end to as close to their original shape and size.

Finally this seems to have cured the problem. I've no idea how long the fix will last - but I've bought some new catches. Fortunately Johnson Honda has some on Ebay for a lot less than the normal £140.

So the conclusion is that the catches don't last forever and will cause rattles when worn. It may be useful to grease the strikers to reduce wear.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As post #4.

Self amalgamating tape worked when wrapped around the hooks (I got it wrong) and did this for three years without issue.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM

I tried that and various similar things - it didn't help - the worn boss was the problem.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have any pics of the shims? Specifically where they are located?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Hard Top Fitting - Help Please