UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard top on... rattles like a bag of spanners!

Old 10-31-2005, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My HT went on a week or so ago. At first the catches rattled, although this stopped after a day or two. This was then replaced by an intermittent creaking / cracking sound, which I eventually deduced to be coming from the mating faces of the catch and striker plate, as opposed to the hooks.

I popped the top back up, greased the rubber seat even more with Shin Etsu, and applied some to the little locating pin thingy and surrounding mating face. Same grease, dunno if it's the right stuff for the job or not, but I had it in my hand, so... Result! No more creaks
Old 10-31-2005, 04:05 AM

Took mine off this weekend. The weather is great so no point
Old 10-31-2005, 04:14 AM

... but the weather's only turned warm and sunny cos I put mine on...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pete Findlay,Oct 31 2005, 01:14 PM
... but the weather's only turned warm and sunny cos I put mine on...
The rattles drove me mad. Now all I can hear is the exhaust. That's louder now the hard top is off though
Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 AM

I've got one creak this year which I think is easily solvable, but last year I had an annoying squeak at the back which I think was water trapped between the seals. Good luck with sorting it - I think they'll always make SOME kind of noise. The wind buffeting around the B pillars is the loudest noise at the moment.

As I've posted on another (very unpopular ) thread, what's of more concern to me is the damage six months on the stand has caused my HT. I'll take it to a Honda dealer on Wednesday and see what they say.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 AM

The latches are different, you they have an extra piece of rubber on the catch itself....

I know as i have 3 old ones and 1 new one waiting for the other new ones to arrive
Old 10-31-2005, 06:22 AM

A .10 fix:

We all know the squeak happens when the catch wears down. Tighten the screws really doesn't help to offset the gap, only to keep the latch from rattling. Most people don't seem to have this problem.

Pick up some rubber grommet hose and slip it over the catch.....the shrink wrap stuff for electrical wire spools. This will offset the gap.

Or for less than .01, roll up a small piece of cardboard and place in between the catch and stricker. You will not be able to see it, once latched. I went with the seond option since I couldn't find anything in my garage at that moment. I will switch to the rubber grommet mod as soon as Spring hits, but for the time being the cardboard is holding up just fine

The first option is clean and will work all the time, The second option is only good as long as you do not unlatch.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Where do you buy rubber grommet hose? - what does it look like?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Electronics supply store, or a big chain home improvement store.

It's shrink tubing used for electrical wires, OR you can try a rubber washer (any plumbing store) and slip over the latch hook( EASIEST)..... that should create enough offset. Also will look clean.

the freebee---
just try taking a thin piece of cardboard( cereal box) , roll it up like a cigarette, cut to length with scissors. and than place between the latch and hook carefully so it doesn't fall out while locking the latch.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by naseeb,Oct 31 2005, 10:24 PM
Electronics supply store, or a big chain home improvement store.

It's shrink tubing used for electrical wires, OR you can try a rubber washer (any plumbing store) and slip over the latch hook( EASIEST)..... that should create enough offset. Also will look clean.

the freebee---
just try taking a thin piece of cardboard( cereal box) , roll it up like a cigarette, cut to length with scissors. and than place between the latch and hook carefully so it doesn't fall out while locking the latch.
i tried the heat shrink tubing from maplins and it was crap.it just wasnt thick enough. ended up using some clear 12mm flexible tubing from b&q.

Quick Reply: Hard top on... rattles like a bag of spanners!