UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

hard top wind noise help

Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
You can adjust the angle that the glass runs in at the top.
Remove door card and examine the runners - all will become clear

Do this after you are confident that you have correctly aligned the HT, IAW Honda's instructions.

Letting it sit on the car for a while will also help with the above.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_FUN
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1315915583' post='20967990
i get the same thing i think.. noise at my shoulder area
If you get noise from the shoulder area is because the seals where the hardtop meet the seals of the car have a gap. The only way to fix this is to tear the inner side plastic panels of the hardtop and adjust the hardtop from the spikes. There are 3 bolts inside of the hardtop that can be ajusted.

About razorsharp192 problem i will agree to grease the seals first and if that doesn't cure it then one way is to fit something between the window seals of the hardtop to expand them a bit or to adjust the window of the car.

Chris

thanks for the advice. just ordered some SHIN-ETSU grease, so i'll give that a try. does it really expand the rubber a fair bit then? other than that, what sort of thing can i fit between the seals?! and how?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by razorsharp192
Originally Posted by S2000_FUN' timestamp='1315918496' post='20968077
[quote name='Nottm_S2' timestamp='1315915583' post='20967990']
i get the same thing i think.. noise at my shoulder area
If you get noise from the shoulder area is because the seals where the hardtop meet the seals of the car have a gap. The only way to fix this is to tear the inner side plastic panels of the hardtop and adjust the hardtop from the spikes. There are 3 bolts inside of the hardtop that can be ajusted.

About razorsharp192 problem i will agree to grease the seals first and if that doesn't cure it then one way is to fit something between the window seals of the hardtop to expand them a bit or to adjust the window of the car.

Chris

thanks for the advice. just ordered some SHIN-ETSU grease, so i'll give that a try. does it really expand the rubber a fair bit then? other than that, what sort of thing can i fit between the seals?! and how?
[/quote]

It does expand quite bit with grease. If this doesn't work then you the right solution is to align the window as much as you can.
About the other solution you can put some thick double sided sticky foam tape on the inner side of the rubber seals. You can remove the rubber seals and put the tape on the hardtop or just strech a bit the seals while are on the hardtop and put the foam tape in the gap between the seals and the hardtop.The foam tape will push the window seals against the window. Hope you can understand me

Chris
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Chris
i've adjusted the ht aiming for the honda gaps at the back, not sure it will go down any tighter.. hmm

never been a great fit for me
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Originally Posted by S2000_FUN' timestamp='1315918496' post='20968077

Chris
i've adjusted the ht aiming for the honda gaps at the back, not sure it will go down any tighter.. hmm

Did you bend the corner gusset? Although we are talking for milimeters trust me it does make a difference.
As far as the Honda adjustments i never followed these instructions. What i did is to remove the side plastic panels of the hardtop, fitted on the car, losen the adjustment bolts and put someone to press the hardtop as much as he could to the car. Then tight the adjustment bolts. Althought the gap between the hardtop and the car is i think a bit smaller the car feels like a coupe. Not a single noise from the hardtop even in hard road bumps. Of course Shinetsu Grease applied on all of the seals. I recently bought a carbon mugen hardtop which i have not adjusted yet but i believe would be the same

Chris
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

No chris, i dont think i did.

Will try that! Cheers
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1315990191' post='20971537
[quote name='S2000_FUN' timestamp='1315918496' post='20968077']

Chris

Did you bend the corner gusset? Although we are talking for milimeters trust me it does make a difference.
As far as the Honda adjustments i never followed these instructions. What i did is to remove the side plastic panels of the hardtop, fitted on the car, losen the adjustment bolts and put someone to press the hardtop as much as he could to the car. Then tight the adjustment bolts. Althought the gap between the hardtop and the car is i think a bit smaller the car feels like a coupe. Not a single noise from the hardtop even in hard road bumps. Of course Shinetsu Grease applied on all of the seals. I recently bought a carbon mugen hardtop which i have not adjusted yet but i believe would be the same

Chris
[/quote]

i might give this a go aswell. my top rattles a bit going over bumps. how does the plastic trim come off on the ht? does it just pull off?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razorsharp192
how does the plastic trim come off on the ht? does it just pull off?
Correct.

I don't want to seem like I'm hounding you, but please find your shift key
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Community Organizer

i might give this a go aswell. my top rattles a bit going over bumps. how does the plastic trim come off on the ht? does it just pull off?
Yes it is attached with clips. Just carefully pull it off
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM

well i greased up the seals with Shin Etsu and adjusted the hardtop (the 3 bolts under the panels) at the weekend. doesnt seem to have helped fix the problem, the wind from the window seal is still there. the hardtop is as tight to the car as i can get it.

any more suggestions?

Quick Reply: hard top wind noise help