UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard Tops

Old 08-07-2001, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Tops

Hello Everyone

How many of you have had hard tops fitted?

What do you think of them?

How much did you pay?
Old 08-07-2001, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love one. I think it's way too expensive. The real benefit would be the extra visibility on those winter mornings with that bigger wrap around rear window. Storage might be a pain when not in use. Someone on the U.S. board who'd bought one complained that on those odd nice days when you would just drop the top it was a real drag (2 handed) to first remove the top.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:10 AM

I have one and keep it on most of the time!!! They make the car quieter on the motorway, they are solid and give you a proper rear window and demister. They are very well made and I think the car looks better with it on not least because they are colour coded. It is also easier to get bird unpleasantries off the roof!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 11:13 AM

How much did you pay for it?

I hate the thought of not having the roof down though!

Originally posted by stooksteer
I have one and keep it on most of the time!!! They make the car quieter on the motorway, they are solid and give you a proper rear window and demister. They are very well made and I think the car looks better with it on not least because they are colour coded. It is also easier to get bird unpleasantries off the roof!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 11:31 AM

The cost was 2K fitted. They need to be fitted by a dealer because the rear demister needs wiring in. There is a switch next to the front lights washer switch. I think if you contact a Belgian dealer you could get it even cheaper. They weigh about 20Kgs and there are four fixing points on the inside. They are also lined with fabric. I think the headroom is also better.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:29 PM

Ive seen a nice photo of a silver S2K with 19" wheels and a hardtop.
After seeing this photo I really liked the look of the hardtop.

Im now considering getting one for this winter, mainly because I use my car everyday and its kept outside too.

I wonder though, presumably you have to have the soft top retracted permanently during the time the hardtop is on. Is this damaging to the soft top?

Originally posted by stooksteer
The cost was 2K fitted. They need to be fitted by a dealer because the rear demister needs wiring in. There is a switch next to the front lights washer switch. I think if you contact a Belgian dealer you could get it even cheaper. They weigh about 20Kgs and there are four fixing points on the inside. They are also lined with fabric. I think the headroom is also better.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
Is this damaging to the soft top?

The only thing to look after is the rear screen.
A tube will protect the screen nicely.
I am not planning to get one as I want to drive top down when the weather allows through the winter
Old 08-08-2001, 06:51 AM

Yep, when the hard top is on the soft top is retracted. The rear window then completely contains the stowed soft top. If you use the car for work, do a fair mileage or the car is outside alot they make things alot more practical and you don't have to worry about some one-watt slashing the roof. I think they are a superb investment.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:36 AM

$2995 Installed

Noticably quieter - revving enjoyable, without being intrusive and greatly improves stereo listening

Visibility much better than ragtop

Looks good too! Although I wouldn't buy it just for that. The longer your bad weather season(s), the better the value.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:24 PM

ive already made my own window tube made from insulating foampipe and fleece, so im sorted for when the top is retracted.

Just need to see if I can source a cheap hardtop.
Might try Belgium.
My girlfriend's sister (yes.. i know. ) lives in Belgium at the moment so I could incorporate a family visit with an essential purchase for the winter.

Quick Reply: Hard Tops