UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Haunted S2000...

Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Doh!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mmmmm interesting but since I've been using it no flat battery… battery placebo?

Something is staying live as the stereo came on with the ignition off?
It's easily rectified though as I just turn the stereo off on the unit itself before turning the ignition off.

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k

Last edited by RevRanger; 01-24-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I knew someone that had an Alfa GTV back in the day which would on occasion, open its windows, flick on the wipers and/or headlamps and even start itself, all whilst in a locked state and the keyholder nowhere near the car!

That's down to the Italian crafted electrics I suspect!

Your issue may indeed be related to the stereo and the fag lighter sharing the same fuse. For both items will be sitting on the same 'side' of the switched circuit, if you know what I mean, so it doesn't matter whether the ignition is in position 2 or whatever. The charge pack will form a closed connection with the stereo that way.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 AM

We once had a Alfa Sud that decided to set itself alight and that was electric based!!!

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
I knew someone that had an Alfa GTV back in the day which would on occasion, open its windows, flick on the wipers and/or headlamps and even start itself, all whilst in a locked state and the keyholder nowhere near the car!

That's down to the Italian crafted electrics I suspect!

Your issue may indeed be related to the stereo and the fag lighter sharing the same fuse. For both items will be sitting on the same 'side' of the switched circuit, if you know what I mean, so it doesn't matter whether the ignition is in position 2 or whatever. The charge pack will form a closed connection with the stereo that way.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 AM

I have got a fused permanent live connected to my base. Would this play a part in it at all?

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Old 01-24-2017, 04:55 AM

PS. I hate electrics at the best of times… even in the house!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

To many spirits again

fwiw I too have a solar charger but it connects directly to the battery terminals. seems to do the trick but the car still needs a drive from time to time.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I'm not sure of the answer, but perhaps sending power to the socket means that the radio "thinks" the engine is switched on. Whether the electricity manages to get past the fuse and into the battery is anyone's guess
My guess is that the lives are common to the fuse box and the supply to them is switched by the ignition on the other side of the bus bar.

Therefore one can get an arse-circuit and anything that is live when the ignition is switched will be live if you shove voltage the wrong way up the fag lighter.

Since there is a permanent feed to keep the radio's memory, some of it might even find its way back to the battery.

However, shoving power the wrong way up FREDs is not really to be encouraged.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
To many spirits again

fwiw I too have a solar charger but it connects directly to the battery terminals. seems to do the trick but the car still needs a drive from time to time.
I've one like that, but it's barely ever sunny enough to get any real potential difference at this time of year.

I tend to stick the battery conditioner on each of them now & again, so that the pulse mode will de-sulphate the lead plates as well as to top them up. I'm doing the Leg End as we speak, purely for reasons of de-sulphation.

I've just remembered the 86's battery is four years old and tiny and I've never done it...
Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a solar trickle charger that connects via the ODB2 port. Location is convenient, and the ODB2 is 12v live at all times.

Think I used an AA branded version, found on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Haunted S2000...