UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Head Gasket replacement

Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I wouldn't assume head gasket that's for sure. Problem now is the garage going to say it's head gasket failure now because it gives them more work?

​​​​​​I would be tempted to change those coolant lines and the expansion bottle. Have you got OEM pressure rated cap on the radiator? Or higher rated?
I've got the car in with TDI North and they have done a pressure test and the system has a leak somwhere. There really busy at the moment and I have kind of dumped my car with them which I don't feel great about but I didn't have much of an option as the RAC could only transport the car the day of the breakdown. TDI have said they will do a sniffer test to confirm the leak if from the headgasket.

I am running a 1.1bar rad cap on a Koyo radiator. I will speak to TDI and possibly send them a new expansion bottle cap and the hose to the throttle body to replace and ask if they can do another pressure test.

I would expect the head gasket has gone though as the temp gauge was at max! Completely my fault as I didn't notice it rising.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 AM

Anyone know rough labour costing for a headgasket replacement?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
Anyone know rough labour costing for a headgasket replacement?
I had mine done at Honda and it was several hundred quid. The lowest indy quote was about £400 IIRC.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Head off, given a light skim and put back together with a new HG should see a figure of what Simon's mentioned above.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got the car in with TDI North and they have done a pressure test and the system has a leak somwhere. There really busy at the moment and I have kind of dumped my car with them which I don't feel great about but I didn't have much of an option as the RAC could only transport the car the day of the breakdown. TDI have said they will do a sniffer test to confirm the leak if from the headgasket.

I am running a 1.1bar rad cap on a Koyo radiator. I will speak to TDI and possibly send them a new expansion bottle cap and the hose to the throttle body to replace and ask if they can do another pressure test.

I would expect the head gasket has gone though as the temp gauge was at max! Completely my fault as I didn't notice it rising.
Does the level change in the expansion tank?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Does the level change in the expansion tank?
When they did the pressure test? I have no idea i wasn't present.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know if its a pretty bad crack in the HG that you will start seeing a creamy residue in the coolant tank due to the water & oil mixing in the channels
Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When mine went it was pissing coolant back up through the expansion tank fill cap, but catch it early and the head should be fine.

If you run the car with the rad cap off and it starts spitting it out, your gasket has gone.

If you dont need the head skimmed it's a pretty easy job.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by MB
When mine went it was pissing coolant back up through the expansion tank fill cap, but catch it early and the head should be fine.

If you run the car with the rad cap off and it starts spitting it out, your gasket has gone.

If you dont need the head skimmed it's a pretty easy job.
Thanks for this, this is exactly the symptom's TDi have reported so i believe them when they say the head gasket has gone. They have quoted a minimum of a days labour at £480 plus parts

Final question. I shouldn't need to replace the Timing chain tensioner should i? never had the ticking noise some report on
Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for this, this is exactly the symptom's TDi have reported so i believe them when they say the head gasket has gone. They have quoted a minimum of a days labour at £480 plus parts

Final question. I shouldn't need to replace the Timing chain tensioner should i? never had the ticking noise some report on
Regards the timing chain tensioner. if it ain't broke don't fix it. Wait till you do.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket replacement