UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Head on or hedge?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head on or hedge?

I was coming down a country lane on my way home from work, the speed limit changes from 40 into a NSL and the old dear in front of me remained at 40. So I overtook and came around the next corner at around 50-55 ish. I kept this speed knowing that the road is usually littered with cyclists and farmers in tractors. The next gentle bend arrived and as I got around it, I saw a tractor on the other side of the road, and in front of me is a van overtaking it. Judging the distance I knew I didn't have to apply the brakes but I came off the accelerator pedal and started to gently apply the brake, but to my horror, when the van pulled in, there was another car! The issue I could see was that this other car only seemed to be doing a few mph faster than the tractor. By this point, my foot was firmly on the brake pedal, so much so I could feel the ABS kicking in. Still not enough road left, damn. At this point I had about a second to think before a head on. The driver of the car didn't change direction, speed up, slow down to pull in behind the tractor, so it was either a head on collision or I take evasive action and head for the verge/hedge on my left.

I took the latter option. I could feel that the left side dropped down about a foot as the car hit the grass, and I could hear the sound of the hedge scratching down the paintwork. I managed to get the car back onto the road which I was surprised at. S2000's can have a bit of a temper, and I was expecting to go full on into the hedge. I turned around and saw the offending car head off into the distance ahead of the tractor. I was ******* raging.

Not wanting to be a victim of 'hit and run' (even though there was no contact), I decided to follow her. I got past the tractor and up behind the driver, I was flashing my lights, tooting the horn but I got no response, not even a look in their mirror. So I overtook and eventually she pulled over to the side of the road. She seemed completely oblivious. "I saw you go into the hedge and back onto the road so I presumed you're alright". I looked at the side of my car and I could see lines down it from the hedge. She admitted fault and as I asked her for her insurance details, she rang her dad saying "my dad does everything for me". This isn't going well I thought. I can be quite judgemental at times, but in front of me stood a clueless muppet, not stirred at all by almost having a head on.

Some 15 minutes went by and I saw a car indicating to pull over behind her car. Her dad steps out of the car, I was imagining some white vest wearing yob, but he was clearly someone who'd just been woken up sleeping off nights. He asked her what happened, where, what speed etc. Then he came to me, said he was a copper (I didn't see any ID, nor did I ask for any) and took all my details as he handed over hers, including policy number, home phone number, full names etc. The car *seems* fine. I think the marks on the offside from the hedge will polish out, 95% have so far but I think it may need a proper go with a mop or some more elbow grease. However there's a lot of grass and mud on the underside. I explained that I'm booked in at a garage tomorrow (TGM), and that I wanted them to look at the car. He asked that I pass any estimate past him before approaching the insurance company which I agreed.

What I'm concerned about is did I do the right thing, by getting all the details? By agreeing to see if we can fix whatever needs fixing outside of insurance, could this come round and bite me in the backside? Or should I just go down the insurance route? Never really been in this situation before.

Marks on the car:

Underneath.

The view I had approaching the corner. I couldn't really see the tractor, the corner is partially blind due to the field on the right.

And where I had to leave the road. Luckily there was just enough room.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good effort on the recovery. I think it's 24hours to report a crime/incident? Unless it's been changed and should state the time in your policy schedule that they desire for this.

Looks to be ok, but the camera always makes cars look better than they are with scratches.

Problem will be in the geo & brakes which tgm will pick up on no doubt .

Hope that helps abit.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have stopped dead in the road, it was her accident to avoid not yours
That said you now have a bit of an issue
She could deny all knowledge if they don't like the estimate
She could refuse to pay the estimate
IF! he is a copper he should know better than to circumvent a claim
I suspect that will need some paint work
Good luck! and Lucky Escape!
BTW what the hell was she thinking doing a blind over take!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Lucky escape, all-in-all.

What was she thinking? Nothing at all. The amount of people who blindly follow an overtake without checking is frightening.

I've nearly had similar.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes but they have stopped which should help. And common sense should ask how else would he have their details without them talking, so although may deny blame if no other witnesses (sure you can find the tractor driver by emailing farms as a last resort?) there's a very interesting conversation to be held there alone.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM

I spoke to the tractor driver as he pulled into a field where I'd caught up with the female diver, claimed to have seen nothing. Complete lie I think, probably doesn't want anything to do with it all.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was probably on his phone
Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody seems to take responsibility for their actions any more. Crass stupidity followed by denial seems to be the default behaviour.

Which is why I have dash cameras in both cars.

If the dozy female's father is a policeman, he would know better than to get involved in any denial, or anything which might be interpreted as "perverting the course of justice" so as long as he's a serving officer he should play it straight, even though it's not a criminal matter. And the tractor driver is a witness, whether he likes it or not.

Good luck with sorting it out. From the photos, most of the scratches on the body should polish out, although I'd get the underside checked out, and the tracking.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:57 AM

On my iPad so a short post. But no damage at all underneath, except the remains of a snail. Luckily for me the car didn't bottom out, but just collected come grass. Will at TGM looked at the marks and said they'll all polish out by hand. So I'll text the dad later on and say all is clear.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIP
On my iPad so a short post. But no damage at all underneath, except the remains of a snail. Luckily for me the car didn't bottom out, but just collected come grass. Will at TGM looked at the marks and said they'll all polish out by hand. So I'll text the dad later on and say all is clear.

Dont text them until you've polished the marks out! Might not be as straight forward as that. Get them to pay for it to be detailed. Its the only fair thing to do.

Quick Reply: Head on or hedge?