UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello Everyone!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hello Everyone!

Hey everyone!

My names Will (Winstan), Recently bought myself a MY08 GT Moon rock S2000 driven the car about 500miles so far and loving every minute of it.

I had a MK5 Golf R32 DSG previously and although the noise is infectious on those cars it was too computerized for my liking and a bit too easy to drive, which meant it got boring quickly.

I don’t need to explain the way the S drives too all of you owners out there. Its just smiles all round

I have spent some time under the bonnet of the S and have been carrying out mainly servicing which in some cases wasn’t vital but it has been essential for me to ensure the car has been maintained correctly, and for peace of mind.

So far I have carried out: -

- Replacement discs and pads all round with Honda genuine parts.

- Replacement brake fluid using Castrol react DOT 4. Bled via gravity method.

- Replacement clutch fluid using Castrol react DOT 4. Bled via gravity method.

- Changed the Diff oil and washers using Honda Genuine Hypoid oil.
(Previously been changed by Honda who got the fill and drain plug the wrong way round )

- Changed the gearbox oil and washers using Honda Genuine MTF-3

- Replacement air filter using Honda Genuine parts.

- Sprayed the rocker cover with VHT paint. And replaced rocker gasket.

- Spent a day de-taring the paint work ready for machine polishing!

Many thanks to SI @ Hendy for sorting me out with parts !

Apologises not great photos !
Will post some more up at some point !

S

Fluids

Old dirty clutch fluid

Clean Reservoir

Bleeding Clutch

Bleeding brakes

Old dirty brake fluid

I am having a couple issues with the car at the moment that are annoying more than anything.

The car grinds/knocks when put into second gear and some times first and third when cold (less noticeable when hot).
I have changed the filthy clutch fluid and bled the system using the gravity method. This made a fairly big difference the pedal felt smooth and precised, but the gear was still grinding.
I have adjusted the clutch pedal rod to have zero play this again made some difference but the car is still grinding, also after adjusting, the clutch is biting pretty high and I am concerned I may need to be installing a new clutch soon.

The car occasionally snatches to the left or right when driving at lower speeds, I have had a 4 wheel alignment and the car had quite bad negative camber this seemed to cure my problem and the car feels better however it has recently started snatching again. I also check the tyre pressures every time I fill up with fuel set at 32 PSI. Any ideas?

Apart from all this my next job is a dam good clean and machine polish !

Thanks for reading guys!
More posts to follow !
Old 04-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Winstan
The car grinds/knocks when put into second gear and some times first and third when cold (less noticeable when hot).
Change the gearbox oil. Use decent synthetic oil.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
Originally Posted by Winstan' timestamp='1461969509' post='23952738
OP used genuine Honda MTF-3, that's as good as you get. The gear box on these can be harsh when cold but you could try bleeding the clutch fluid again, might be some rouge air, and try re-greasing the shifter with ultra high temperature grease. Then try looking at the slack in the pedal.

As for snatching is it front or back end? if it's back end and the camber was out have the tyres worn to this camber it could still be bump steer, you will get it more driving over drain covers etc. What tyres are on the car?

And BTW welcome
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

The clutch bite point is pretty high on these by default, I wouldn't read anything into that by itself.

- and welcome !
Old 04-29-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome Will.
Had issues when I got mine ,done same things as you<but also changed gearchange bushes at bottom of shifter inside car and used plenty of grease>about £12 for both bushes,
and have found a slower change into second gear<a pause in the shift middle of the stroke>seems to help.
But when shifting at high rpm,i have no problems
The pushrod clearance thing is a good idea,care needed not to overdue here peeps if in doubt slacken a tad
Whats the rear Toe set at,have found min toe best.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome! love moonrock colour!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy and welcome! I'm also a relative newbie and have done similar maintenance to mine too (moonrock is the best!). From your fluids photo you only show 1l of MTF. I assume you had a second bottle (is that a bottle cap I spot to the bottom of your photo?) as it needs around 1.6l to reach the fill hole.

Glad you're enjoying the drive
Old 04-30-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Tim S' timestamp='1461972539' post='23952766
[quote name='Winstan' timestamp='1461969509' post='23952738']
OP used genuine Honda MTF-3, that's as good as you get. The gear box on these can be harsh when cold but you could try bleeding the clutch fluid again, might be some rouge air, and try re-greasing the shifter with ultra high temperature grease. Then try looking at the slack in the pedal.

As for snatching is it front or back end? if it's back end and the camber was out have the tyres worn to this camber it could still be bump steer, you will get it more driving over drain covers etc. What tyres are on the car?

And BTW welcome
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, will definitely look into the re-grease, i already adjusted the pedal to zero play, didn't seem to make much difference yesterday but today the car seems to have improved, wether thats a combination of new trans oil, pedal adjustment and clutch fluid who knows, think the car has good days and bad days Or its just me getting smoother at driving it

The snatching is up front there is some inner wear on the tyres where the camber was out, they are yokohama tyres I'm unsure on what spec haven't really paid much attention to them at this point will confirm specs later !

Originally Posted by noodels
Welcome Will.
Had issues when I got mine ,done same things as you<but also changed gearchange bushes at bottom of shifter inside car and used plenty of grease>about £12 for both bushes,
and have found a slower change into second gear<a pause in the shift middle of the stroke>seems to help.
But when shifting at high rpm,i have no problems
The pushrod clearance thing is a good idea,care needed not to overdue here peeps if in doubt slacken a tad
Whats the rear Toe set at,have found min toe best.
Was not aware there were bushes that could be changed on the shifter, sounds like something i will look into in due course !
Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by gav86
Howdy and welcome! I'm also a relative newbie and have done similar maintenance to mine too (moonrock is the best!). From your fluids photo you only show 1l of MTF. I assume you had a second bottle (is that a bottle cap I spot to the bottom of your photo?) as it needs around 1.6l to reach the fill hole.

Glad you're enjoying the drive
Yeah i had a second bottle Had it already set up with the hand pump i was using, Thanks for the reply !
Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Winstan
The snatching is up front there is some inner wear on the tyres where the camber was out, they are yokohama tyres I'm unsure on what spec haven't really paid much attention to them at this point will confirm specs later !
If they are yokohama Advan A048 they are really track tyres I would change them for something more road suitable, you could ask if there is a member near to you and borrow their fronts for a drive to see if their is a difference. Have a look at the tyre thread for more info. These cars are very tyre sensitive.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
OP used genuine Honda MTF-3, that's as good as you get.
Whoops - cloth eyes on my part.

I've been convinced the gearbox is on the way out in the past (it has a hard life) only for it to be reinvigorated with an oil change.

Quick Reply: Hello Everyone!