UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help! broken down with missfires!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok - just had a thought

About two days ago i noticed a deeper tone to my exhaust, a bit like my exhaust was blowing slightly and I could smell fuel/exhaust in the cab, but it sounded a bit like it was coming from around the cat. It happened very suddenly but because it was raining i parked it when I got home to investigate another day.
Could this noise in fact have been the motor running without an oil cap? From memory I'm sure when you run without an oil cap you get a noise out the hole. If so, i did about 100 miles with it like that!

I now know that my oil cap came off before today because I've just noticed oil on my drive where it was parked.

I'm now wondering what to do, because I haven't lifted the bonnet since before I put it into the garage for all the work they did (which included an oil change). So I'm wondering at this point if they didn't put my cap back on properly, and if indeed getting it trailered back there was a mistake.

Flip sake.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

They are known to pop off if not tightened. Mine did it once and AE pointed me to where the cap would be.

lesson 1 - if there's a noise, have a poke about i guess

if your packs are gone you will have to import or get used ones. They are silly money from Honda. Rockauto is the place. I guess swapping your one good un around will demonstrate?

an engine swap will cost you c£3k incl a good engine i think. I've had one done last year.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:57 AM

I'm not going to bother if the engine is done. I'll break it or sell as a rolling shell.

Shame as there's nothing else wrong with it. It had a 50k mile gearbox and a brand new clutch fitted a fortnight ago and has 11months mot.

....and I just remembered I filled it up this morning too FFS!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Think you're over stressing at the moment. When have the garage said they will be able to investigate?

Hope you've told them about the cap and that you haven't touched it. What garage was it?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any update on this OP?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 AM

It's still in the garage,
Work done so far includes new spark plugs, full clean of the bay and going through all the plugs, sockets and connectors etc to ensure all are still working.

The update I had on sat was that it was running fine and driveable. The new spark plugs made it loads better, but at idle and low rpm the timing was jumping around and there was the occasional misfire so they are continuing to investigate. They were going to have a play with the coil packs and something else today and were going to let me know later on.

Hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow,

Dave
Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

fingers crossed
bad idle - people have reported cleaning the IACV works https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-valve-492738/ and also bad valve clearances can be an issue
when my packs went it affected high rpm
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 AM

It's alive!!!!!

Picking it up in the morning, but it's had new spark plugs, some cleaning out of stuff and I think a couple of new coil packs.

I'll update tomorrow once I've had a discussion with the garage,

I better be working this time I'm going to Santapod this weekend!
Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

'Some cleaning out of stuff' - definitely interested in more info on this please mate, my car has started being a little lumpy on idle at times and Im thinking something needs a bit of de-gunking! If I were a betting man I'd guess than ran some sea-foam or something similar through and cleaned the throttle body though
Old 05-04-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sure I read somewhere on one of the VW forums about re-torquing the knock sensor can help with certain issues - you mentioned in your OP that a new one had been fitted recently - this might explain the timing "jumping around". Was this knock sensor replacement to cure similar symptoms or was it replaced for a different reason (e.g. it was brittle and snapped off by accident ) ?

Quick Reply: help! broken down with missfires!