UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! Fluid leak

Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSi,Mar 21 2005, 10:56 AM
Expansion tank is white and near the front on the rhs - tubes connecting it to where your PRM plugged in and the rad should give it away

But given your mechanical expertise Mark (no offense of course ) I'd just take it do your stealer.
None taken Rob - I'm the first to admit my shortcomings and ignorance in this field!

I thought that might be the bottle in question. In which case, from the quick look I had yesterday it appeared that it is a touch below the line on the side of the bottle, but I don't know whether it was filled to the line to begin with.

Yes, the A/C has been running, Jo - but I don't think condensation from that explains either the smell of the liquid which had leaked or the oily spots on the driveway, as I said in my first post.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:07 AM

Oh, and speaking of the PRM, while under the bonnet yesterday my father-in-law did notice yesterday that the end of the "trumpet", which is secured to the engine bay with a cable tie at the front, had come loose from the rest of the intake. I think the jubilee clip had slipped a little. He pushed it back into the main part of the intake and tightened the jubilee clip up again.

Any chance that it flapping around might have prompted the leak.....? I couldn't see any obvious reason or source which would be connected to that, but then I've already demonstrated how little I know and just how wrong that conclusion could therefore be!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 AM
GSi

Doubt it, but you might want to check the hoses that connect it in the various places and the hose that passes underneath the PRM shiny tube just by the engine.

Coolant Expansion tank has two lines IIRC and the level should be between them when cool

BTW, when I had a problem with my coolant/oil etc it would drip from the tank. The drips came from the very front RHS of the car - almost from under the faux vent.. So unless yours is dripping there, it must be somewhere else in the system.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I had something similar Mark, and it was coolant. I found that the level in my expansion tank kept going down (very slowly over time)

It was leaking from a rubber hose, ever so slightly. that needed tightening up.

I'll get some pics
Old 03-21-2005, 02:28 AM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

It could also be power steering fluid? Or the smell of oil could be down to water dribbling down a dirty engine bay and picking up a bit of oil on the way? Just monitor all the levels which people have mentioned, brake fluid (top left as you look at engine bay), coolant (bottom right), engine oil (ahem), power steering (cant remember, look for a little barrel shaped container)... etc.. if it's marking your drive it is most likely not coolant i'd have thought.. Dealer might not be able to spot a very minor leak anyway..

I often think I'm impressed with how clean my car is underneath for a 4yr old.. then realise i've only done 17.5k in it..
Old 03-21-2005, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is my pic - from the part cicled in red

HTH

Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Mar 21 2005, 11:07 AM
......my father-in-law.......
Eh?

When did this happen?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:47 AM

OK, well, father-in-law-to-be, San. Seemed like a bit of a mouthful. I should just have put "Jen's dad", shouldn't I?

Next question, anyone know a good way of removing oil stains from tarmac?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 AM

phew!

Though I'd missed out on the opportunity of ribbing you!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 AM
GSi

Wasn't this mentioned the other day? sure I read it somewhere. Something about washing powder to soak it up and then a brush off? Might have dreamt it of course

Quick Reply: Help! Fluid leak