UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help My S2000

Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help My S2000

Hi All,

Ever since I got my S2000, its never felt quite right. When i bought it, I HPIed it and it came back clear, but a few weeks after buying it, I noticed that its had a drivers side rear quarter at some point, as the top of the drivers door doesn't quite meet up flush with the rear quarter, but anyway, this seems relatively minor.

When i took the car to rob at garage r for its 72k service, I was going to have the geo done, but all the bushes and geo bolts were siezed. Obviously this is a big job and rob does it for a very good price, but at that time, couldnt afford to have it done, so ive left it.

This week, I had 2 new rear tyres put on, as the old ones were very low on tread. I was so impressed with the grip of the rainsports in the snow and rain, I had 2 identical ones put on the rear. The rear had started to become more twitchy than usual, and the car just generally felt a bit more bumpy than usual, so i was hoping the new tyres would cure all this.

But after a quick run out today with my mate in his integra, mine feels 100% worse. It follows all the bumps and camber of the road. I mean, its felt bad before, but never this bad. I know new tyres need time to "bed in" if you like, but I felt more like i was holding on for dear life rather than driving it and being in full control. It was so bad, that after once in VTEC, i didn't go near it again! frankly terrifying!

Now given that rob said on my last service my bushes and geo bolts were seized, I was assuming this maybe the cause of the wayward car, BUT...Im worried that I will be throwing £1k at the car, and it will feel no different! and obviously this isn't money that you get back when selling the car really.

Ive been flirting with the idea of chopping the S2k in and getting a boxster. The S2000 has been my dream car for years and years, and now ive got one, I feel like im holding on for dear life rather than driving it.

Im not sure what to do, get the Bushes and Allignment done, in the hope this cures the problem. Chop the S2k in for a newer S2k, or chop it in for a boxster. Ideally I would like to keep it, but at the moment, its bloody terrifying!!

HELP!

Cheers
James
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned

Why don't you bring it to Rob, pay him to do a test drive, and give you his diagnosis of what's wrong?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Geo check.

If it;s out, you will probably need most / all of the bushes done.

But I suspect it will fix your issues.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Geo check.

If it;s out, you will probably need most / all of the bushes done.

But I suspect it will fix your issues.
I'm guessing that 12 months of me having to go over speedbumps to get too and from work hasn't done the suspension any good!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by James_N
Ive been flirting with the idea of chopping the S2k in and getting a boxster. The S2000 has been my dream car for years and years, and now ive got one, I feel like im holding on for dear life rather than driving it.

Im not sure what to do, get the Bushes and Allignment done, in the hope this cures the problem. Chop the S2k in for a newer S2k, or chop it in for a boxster. Ideally I would like to keep it, but at the moment, its bloody terrifying!!

HELP!

Cheers
James
See if you can get a drive in another members S and compare how it feels to yours. It maybe its a characteristic of all S2000's and you'll always feel liek you're hangin on for dear life!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

I spent over £1k sorting my alignment, the car didnt really feel massively different to before. Infact I think it made it worse due to the polybushes ruining the ride on broken road surfaces.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure one of us here will be close enough to you to give you a comparison..

Won't cost you a thing and then you can decide whether you think its worth it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM

Due to insurance purposes, I think i'll be heading to a honda dealer to test drive some, just to see what they feel like. If they all feel like mine, I'll be selling it as soon as humanly possible, and getting something else!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Just get the geo checked, it'd not big money just to check it
If it miles out you know you need to do the bushes, if it's close to spec something else is wrong, these cars are not like you describe when set up correct
Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by oxhouser
Just get the geo checked, it'd not big money just to check it
If it miles out you know you need to do the bushes, if it's close to spec something else is wrong, these cars are not like you describe when set up correct
The Geo cant be checked as all the geo adjuster bolts and bushes are siezed. Rob at garage R told me this when i asked him to do the geo on top of the 72k service.

or do people mean get the current state of the geo checked and printed out?

Quick Reply: Help My S2000